3 Star Lounger
    Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, USA

Unicode (Word XP VBA)

I'm hoping someone can give me a technical yet easy-to-digest explanation of the way VBA functions (such as ChrW and dialogs(wdDialogInsertSymbol).charnum) present and use the numbers associated with a Unicode character. For example, what's the difference between the negative integer returned by the .charnum and Chrw properties and the positive integer that it normally goes by? I'm well under way with writing a tool to find and replace embedded symbols that are formatted in the symbol font (no problem there) with their unicode equivalent in "(normal text)." It's an XML thing. I'd just like to know why I'm using the numbers and the methods that I am, and why there are negative and positive integers, and how they differ from regular ol' ANSI codes. I seem to be writing empirically, as it were.

Thanks in advance.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike

Silicon Valley, USA

Re: Unicode (Word XP VBA)

I can't even begin to explain this, but if you look for past posts by Klaus Linke on unicode characters, you'll find some explanations and numerous useful tips.