Lounger
    Thanks

MS Document Porks Word2000 (Word 2000 Original)

Absolutely worthless trivia discovery for today, only for Word2k users on 98SE. Amuse yourself, if you're as easily amused as I :

Download this .DOC:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en

Note that under IE6SP1 on 98 it displays properly as a web document through IE, from left-click on the button -- the only way I can find to get to the file/save feature of the embedded Word. Now File|Save. On two machines here, the saved file blows up Word 2000 under 98 on open. It opens fine on Word 2002/XP under XP.

Symptoms: crash to desktop; instance of Word remains open; document locked.

Replications welcome.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS Document Porks Word2000 (Word 2000 Original)

And of course, to save everyone the trouble, it was the macro-virus demon for Norton AV 2001 - with Symantec's latest updates, too. I note the opinion of that in these quarters always has been as low as mine now is.

It's a tossup whether true malware, or nominally white-hatted anti-malware programs cause more grief. Fegh.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS Document Porks Word2000 (Word 2000 Original)

Each of the major anti-virus programs seems to be disliked strongly by some people. I've had no trouble with NAV at all. The Office Plugin admittedly is a PITA, but I turned it off immediately after installing NAV.