2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Directory of Personal.xls (xl97, Win2000)

I have an annoying Excel problem and this is always the best place to find explanations.

I have various macros in my personal.xls and I've assigned some to toolbar buttons. When I open Excel by clicking on an excel.exe shortcut, my toolbar works fine. However when I open excel by clicking on an xls file, the toolbar macros don't work. Excel tells me that I can't open personal.xls because a file with that name is already open, blah, blah. I think I've traced the source of the problem and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this.

If I open excel via excel.exe and I unhide my personal.xls and look at its Properties, I see that the location is:
    C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeXLSTART

When I open excel via an xls file and look at the personal.xls Properties, I see that the location is abbreviated to the old 8 character DOS path:
    C:Progra~1Micros~2OfficeXLSTART

My toolbars seem to be looking for the full path name, not the 8 character abbreviated path. This problem has only popped up in the last month. Before that, I never noticed any problems. I've always used both methods for opening Excel. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Directory of Personal.xls (xl97, Win2000)

If you go to windows explorerer and look at your association for XLS files to open (tools - folder options - file types (tab) - find excel - select <advanced> and then look at the open, how is the program listed?

Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It had the abbreviated 8 character path name. I changed it to the full path name and my problem looks solved.

Steve, you're da man!

Thanks

Glad I could help.

Steve