3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Sharepoint Services

I am just curious if anyone is using the latest incarnations of Windows Sharepoint Services or Sharepoint Portal Server? If so, what particular uses or applications are being used? How tight is the integration between Sharepoint and Exchange? Can I put a web part on a page to display user's schedules or tasks in a team site for example?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Sharepoint Services

I've used WSS in a test environment (on my home network). It works quite well! I especially like the tight integration with Office 2003.

I haven't explored all of the site templates or web parts, but what I've seen is very useful. However, it's not the best solution for every need. My company decided to develop our own portal rather than use SharePoint due to our specialized needs.

I recently attended a seminar where a SharePoint developer was the speaker. He indicated that development is much harder for SharePoint than for a basic ASP.NET application. Due to the Server Control architecture, it's much harder to debug and documentation is much more sparse than it's web-based counterparts.

Since WSS is included with Server 2003 (as opposed to some outrageous license fee for SharePoint Portal Server), it's definitely the right price ($0.00)! I've heard that you can use WSS for as many sites and users as you like. The only need for SPS comes when you want to integrate the multiple sites for searching and the like...

Hope this helps!