Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP Activation (Windows XP SP1)

I just purchased WinXP Pro Upgrade. How does the activation work? If I want to install it on both of my computers, will the activation process limit me? What exactly does the activation do?

Thanks

Re: Windows XP Activation (Windows XP SP1)

Windows XP can be installed on ONE computer only. In simplistic terms, the activation process takes a snapshot of your computer's configuration (hardware, product key, etc.) and sends this to Microsoft. A reply is then sent to your computer to Activate the software. If you don't activate, XP will function for 30 days from the date of installation. At infrequent intervals, as long as Windows XP resides on your computer, this information will be resent to Microsoft and verified against their database. You can certainly install XP an a second or third computer, but activation for these machines will fail.

MS Office may be installed on a desktop AND a laptop if the registered owner is the same for both computers. Activation is also required for these products.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows XP Activation (Windows XP SP1)

I second John, and if you want more details look at:
    Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation
    There are some technical papers with more details as well. Main thing is still: you can not activate two or more copies of the OS on different computers.