5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What are these DIR files?

The Defragmenter wasn't working on my computer, so I downloaded DisKeeper 8 and attempted to defrag my drive. This crashed my computer and I had to reinstall Windows 98. I belive it has created a load of files called DIR00001, etc., on my system. Can I safely delete these?

Also, Add/Remove Programs no longer shows all the apps I have on my system. Is there any software which will be able to check and offer to remove apps on my system?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: What are these DIR files?

I would suggest starting with at least 2 or 3 good registry checkers that can search for invalid registry entries as well as other assorted "non-goodies". One of my favorites is System Mechanic . Another good one I have used is Registry Healer (I googled for the link, I think I downloaded it a year or two ago from ZDNet although it doesn't seem to be available now at that location).

These might give you some heads up about what is safe to delete and what not, and some other good pointers as well. If you search the Lounge, no doubt you will come up with some other good software links for doing the same.