2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

graphics in custom stationery (Outlook 2000)

Arrgghh! Outlook is somehow changing my HTML code in transit. Outlook 2000 on Exchange Server -- internal e-mails (within company)

I have a custom stationery in HTML format (of course).
    In the stationery is a table, and ONE of the cells has a background graphic image. So the original code is like this:

<TD width="100%" background="sky_RGB.jpg" colSpan=3 height=60>

However, when I name this HTML template as my stationery, it shows up in my message window (that I'm composing) just fine visually. However, if you check the source code inside the e-mail window, it has changed that line to this:

<TD width="100%" background=sky_RGB.jpg colSpan=3 height=60>

As you can see, it has taken the quotation marks off the image file name. And so when I send it, the receiver does NOT see the image. Does not get a broken link either, just white space where the image should be.

Any ideas?

Pribb

Thanks

Re: graphics in custom stationery (Outlook 2000)

Try this with your stationery. I don't know that it will work, but I think it's worth a try. Open your stationery file in Notepad or your favorite HTML editor, Save As to create a new stationery file, and... here's the change:

OLD: <TD width="100%" background="sky_RGB.jpg" colSpan=3 height=60>

NEW: <TD width="100%" style="background-image: url(sky_RGB.jpg)" colSpan=3 height=60>

Does it work when composing? If you send it to yourself, does it work?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Jeff.

But no, that didn't work. In fact, it did kind of a strange thing again (I am always changing/editing it in Notepad, by the way).

Your line was: <TD width="100%" style="background-image: url(sky_RGB.jpg)" colSpan=3 height=60>
    and I copied and pasted it in just exactly like that.

I used the template for a new e-mail (It looks okay in compose window -- I can see the graphic when I select it as my stationery).

Then I sent it to myself. The graphic did not appear when I received the e-mail, and when I choose "view source" from the received e-mail, it has changed the above line to this:

<TD style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(sky_RGB.jpg)" width="100%" colSpan=3 height=60>

Not a big change, I realize -- just reversed the order of the attributes, but I thought it was strange. And it does not show the graphic.

And it doesn't matter which background image I choose -- I have even tried just naming it one of the images that are already in the stationery folder.

My HTML template and the image are all in the stationery default location -- Crogram filescommon filesmicrosoft sharedstationery

Is there any reason that Exchange Server would be stripping it off? It doesn't do it if I have it as the background to the whole body --- in only disappears as background to a table cell like this.

Pribb

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay -- here's another weird twist to this:

I tried moving around that background="sky_rpg.jpb" attribute. Instead of having it an attribute of the cell <TD>, I made it an attribute of the whole table <TABLE>. It still won't transmit, and it still strips the quotation marks from the background file name when you look at the received message course code.

So then I moved it up and set it as the background for the entire body <BODY>. This DID transmit okay -- the graphic showed -- however it changed the source code to this: (this is from the received message)

<BODY background=cid:114034014@08042004-036d>

Remember, I had SENT the message with this line reading <BODY background="sky_RGB.jpg">

Isn't this weird?

Pribb

edit: okay -- another weird thing. The original template -- when sent, the graphic doesn't appear (original problem). However, on that same e-mail (with missing graphic) when I hit "reply" and it show the original post in the bottom of the reply body, the graphic DOES appear. So it is there, just not showing.....

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Found a work-around that works. Thanks to spammers (I read the source code of the graphic-laden SPAM e-mail I was sent, to see how they got graphics into their tables with no problem).

So here's what I ended up doing:

<TD width="100%"
    background="http://www.intrustexchange.com/pcsupport/images/sky_RGB.jpg"
    colSpan=3 height=60>

Moved the graphic image itself out to our internal web site (since this e-mail is for internal use only) and referenced the entire path of where the graphic resides into the attribute code itself.

Now it works.

Pribb

Thanks

Outlook uses the cid:nnnnnnnn to indicate that there is an embedded graphic in the message. It's interesting that Outlook 2000 "sees" some image tags but not others. Perhaps this has been fixed in a later verison of Outlook.