2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macro Using same Key (Word 2000)

I recently created a macro that I setup to use a Alt+I key which I would like to continue to use. The first time I use the Alt+I the Control Toolbox opens. This is an item that I have never used. Subsequent use of Alt+I runs my macro.

Is there a way to remove that key from the Control Toolbox so that only my macro will be activated?
    Win 8, Firefox 16.0.2, Thunderbird 15.0.2

Thanks

Re: Macro Using same Key (Word 2000)

I use Word 2002 lately. When I press Alt+i the Insert menu drops down; with Alt+L, nothing happens. I'm not sure I can replicate the problem you're having. Is there anything special about the document? For example, does it contain form controls or items from the toolbox?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I use Word 2000, but get the same behavior that Jefferson gets. In your document, press Alt+Ctrl+NumPad Plus. The cursor turns into a clover. Then press Alt+i or Alt+L (I can't tell which you're using) & see what command is invoked. NOTE: There can be a difference between Alt+i & Alt,i. In other Words, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to a command (like your macro) where you hold down the Alt key & press i. At the same time, you can keep the the menu activation that occurs when you press Alt & RELEASE, & then press i.
    Hope this helps,

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, but it may be better to use a different shortcut for your macro.
    My religion deters me from changing the meaning of buikt-in pre-assigned shortcut keys.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The key I was discussing is alt+eye not alt+ell.

The document is one that was originally generated in W97. It has an index, and as a matter of fact the macro makes a particular selection and then marks the selection to be included in the index. Otherwise I do not think it is unusual, it does not use any controls.

The alt,i will bring up the Insert menu, but as Phil points out I am using Hold Alt while hit the i key. I experimented briefly but I do not see the way to apply alt,i to a macro. Perhaps by generating a new menu item, but again I would have the conflict with the existing Insert Menu item.

When I follow Phil's sugestion it indicates my macro in normal.dot, even tho after that, if it is the first time, it will bring up the Control Toolbar.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Then perhaps it is your macro that is bringing up the Control Toolbar. If you press Alt+F8, select your macro from the list, & click "Run", does the same thing happen?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I guess you are correct but it must be somthing In the document that is hidden from me.
    I tried as you sugested, and the Control Toolbar opened up.
    I then made a new doc and tested the macro and the control panel did not open.

Here is the macro, I added some add'l comments.

Sub SetIndex()
    ' Set to <Alt i>
    ' SetIndex Macro, Used with Download Info.Doc
    Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdLine

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The problem is caused by assigning a shortcut that is already defined, doesn't matter what's in the codem unless the code itself is directly changing keybindings.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

In Word 2003:

1. If I use Alt i whilst a Word document is displayed, as expected, the Insert menu is activated.
    2. If I use Alt i whilst in the VB editor, as expected, the Insert menu is activated.

I would not recommend overriding such a default keybinding.

I can only guess that the Control toolbox poops up because, at some point, you inadvertenly changed the Alt i keybinding and it somehow got connected to the Control toolbox.

I suggest seeing the Word Help topic "Restore original settings for buttons, commands, or toolbars" and resetting all of Word's defaults.
    Then verify that Alt I does indeed start the Insert menu.

Once you are back to the default state, you can then try again to change keybindings, but I do not recommend changing built-in bindings, however, that's your choice.