Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Styles (Word 2002)

If the document already exists then you need to change the style of each heading and subheading.

If you have applied consistent formatting to these headings and subheadings, and that formatting is not applied anywhere else in the document, then you can use Edit Replace to do this. (For example if you have 18pt Blue text for headings).
    Edit > Replace
    Find What: ^?
    More
    Format > Font
    set the appropriate settings for your current headings
    Replace With: ^&
    Format > Style
    select your new heading style
    Click the Replace All button

StuartR

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Dillon:
    <hr>Would I have to go to each heading and subheading, and then use the appropriate styles?<hr>
    Yes. One thing you might be able to do is use Find/Replace. For example, if someone made the headings larger (say 16 point), & subheadings 14 point, you could:
    1. Bring up the Find/Replace box (Ctrl+H).
    2. Click in Find & then, in the Find/Replace dialog box, click Format/Font/16 point.
    3. Click in Replace & then, in the Find/Replace dialog box, Format/Style/Heading 1.
    4. Click Replace All.

Repeat those 4 steps, except in Step 2 choose 14 point & in Step 3, choose Heading 2 for a style. I would then just go through the 10 page document & format everything else as Body Text (if appropriate).
    Cheers,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello StuartR,Phil:

Thanks you so much for your support, and sharing with me the appropriate procedures, of dealing with a document(s) that need to be formatted by styles.

I am sure that I will be successful, with both of the answers, that you both have provided me with.

I do know that the file(s) will be sent to me via Email, so I think that it would be best to copy the file to my hard drive, then save as a template version, and then I could be able to proceed with the necessary changes.

Again, thank you very much for your support.

dillon

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello StuartR, Phil:

<blockquote><hr> <font color=blue>4. This goes back to the Keep Track of Formatting. The good news is with this feature enabled, you don

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have an intense dislike of "Keep Track of Formatting". In my opinion it leads to confusion and causes document structure to be even worse than just applying direct formatting.

My strong advice is to use Styles for every different type of paragraph, even if they have similar formatting now, and then you can make controlled changes whenever you want.

StuartR

Thanks

You don't actually need to save it as a Template unless you plan to "clone" it for use in future documents. But it is a good idea to give it a new name to avoid confusion with the original.

Starting in Word 2002, you can use the Ctrl key to select multiple, non-contiguous paragraphs. So you can scroll down, selecting your headings, and then apply a Heading style to them in one go. This is much better than in earlier versions of Word. But the old method of using F4 (repeat previous action) to apply the style again also works, in case the items being selected are just too far apart to make non-contiguous selecting practical.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello StuartR, Jscher:

Thank you so very much for taking the time to clarify the information, that appeared to be puzzling to me.
    StuartR, I will always turn "Track Formatting" off.

Jscher, thank you so much for your amazing tip, I will always make sure that your information is widely passed on.

Gentlemen, thank you for your support!

dillon65

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Styles (Word 2002)

Hello everyone:

Can anyone tell how I can use styles for a 10 page documents, the document is very basic, however there are heading and subheadings.

Would I have to go to each heading and subheading, and then use the appropriate styles?

Thanks

dillon