5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Low Virtual Memory (WIN XP HOME)

While using Microsoft PictureIT to edit some scanned copies of Civil War letters (my friend is trying to clear up the letters by "painting" over the smudges and smears) , she gets the following error message:

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Low Virtual Memory (WIN XP HOME)

What type of file is this, a tiff, jpeg, PictureIT or what?

If it is of the default PictureIT type, I would save as a jpeg and then try do the clean up.

I save all of my "Raw" scans as Tiff's and the reduced to jepg when I am through cleaning them up. The tiff files are some what large but not as large as the default PictureIT, PaintShop, PhotoShop Elements or what have you. Not only that ,they (tiff) can be read and saved by most editors.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

I thought there was a button somewhere to let Windows recommend the size of the paging file. But photo processing applications often come with special recommendations or requirements, so those could override Windows' defaults.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If I recall correctly, Picture It will save a copy of the file as it was originally scanned, and perhaps one before each edit to allow for undo operations. This can quickly add up and exceed the amount of space allocated for the page file.

She needs to set the page file higher, I think. TIFF images are huge, and if the swap file is not at least as large as the working size of the TIFF, then this error could occur. She may want to let Windows control the size of the file so that there are no hard limits.
    -Mark