Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Won't recognize micro drive (XP)

I'm trying to use one of those little "micro drives" (USB flash drive) on my home computers. The brand: Kanguru, 64 MB. I have two HP computers, both running WinXP Home as original equipment. The older machine recognizes the drive with no problem, but the newer one will not. The first time I plugged it into one of the USB ports on the front of the computer, I saw a little message box that said the drive had been installed and was ready to use. But when I go to My Computer, the drive isn't there. I've tried rebooting (hot and cold), with the flash drive plugged in. No luck. Now, I do have a USB hub hooked up to the computer via a port on the back of the machine. Then I have my scanner, printer, and a Kodak camera dock plugged into that hub. But that shouldn't make any difference...should it?

Suggestions?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Won't recognize micro drive (XP)

The hub should not make any difference, but stranger things have happened. For starters, if the hub is not powered, the drive may not be getting enough juice to run. What results do you get if you plug it directly into the USB port and bypass the hub?
    -Mark

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I merely mentioned that I have a hub that uses one of the two ports on the back of the computer. (The hub is powered, by the way.) I plug the flash drive into one of the ports on the front of the computer. FWIW, the other computer (where the flash drive works fine) has just one device

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Just to update anyone who might be interested: I began to suspect my firewall (ZoneAlarm's freebee) was behind my problem. So I went to Zone Labs' web site and asked the question. Turns out the problem had nothing to do with ZoneAlarm. A guy responding to my question suggested I use TweakUI to see if the H: drive is hidden. That was the problem