Lounger
    Thanks

Problems with compressing pictures (Word 2002 SP-2)

Compressing pictures in Word 2002 (by going Format Picture>Compress) is behaving very oddly. Regardless of the options I choose (and the same happens with a colleague with the same setup), it shrinks the picture from a height of 4cm to about 0.2cm - tiny, in other words. This isn't absolutely consistent - sometimes it leaves it the same size but completely pixellated, sometimes does nothing at all, or sometimes makes it about half-size and odd proportions. Whatever it does, though, it is not what it's meant to - and if I resize the pictures after compression they are massively pixellated. Does anyone know what's going on?

The original pictures were about 35cm high, and were reduced in size in Word - so I would have thought the 'Compress pictures' tool was perfect for this. Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

Alex

Thanks

Re: Problems with compressing pictures (Word 2002 SP-2)

I don't use this feature, but it appears to remove detail from the picture, rather than resize it. So the on-screen appearance might change slightly, the printed appearance likely will change, but the size shouldn't change.

Can you give an example of the before and after resolution and size? Also, are these JPEG or GIF images or something else?