New Lounger
    Thanks

single form/multiple reports (2000)

I am attempting to design a database to, among other things, log the production of widgets. I have created a table with fields for the following; Operation(auto-number), Widget number, part installed, part serial number, employee. The operation number is simply to keep future entries in some order. However, I'd like to enter historical information as well. For this purpose I would like to create a form to enter the widget number once and to automatically list all my part numbers so a user can simply enter in a serial number and employee for each part #. Is this possible?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: single form/multiple reports (2000)

If I understand correctly, one widget number can have many part numbers. If so, I would create two tables:

tblWidgets, with fields Operation (AutoNumber, primary key) and WidgetNumber.

tblWidgetParts, with fields Operation (number, long integer), PartInstalled, PartSerialNumber, Employee. Assuming that parts for a specific widget are unique, you could have the combination of Operation and PartInstalled as primary key.

You would create a main form based on tblWidgets and a subform based on tblWidgetParts. These forms can be created using the Form Wizard if you like.

You could put a combo box on the main form to search for a specific WidgetNumber. The Combo Box Wizard would take care of the details.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    Thanks for the quick response. Using your method I do indeed end up for a form to enter widget number and SF in which to start entering parts, serial numbers, and employees. What ideally I'd like to do is in the SF have the first field auto filled with 1 of each part number and to have the admin be able to enter a serial number and employee for each. So if each widget takes ten parts to build she can get a form with all 10 parts and fields to enter serial # and an employee for each. Is this possible?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You need to execute an append query for this, and some code. I have attached a small demo that illustrates how to do this. The key points are:
    - There is a command button on the main form to add the parts.
    - Event code ensures that the command button is only available when appropriate.
    Attached Files Attached Files