2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

User Friendly CABARC?

CABARC.EXE is the compression program used to make MS .CAB files. It is freely available but command line only. Google doesn't bring me up a UI program, surprisingly. Does anyone know of one?

The US Navy has adopted an intranet solution that, among other things, strips off any .ZIP file. (No, changing the suffix does not fool it.) Other compression programs seem to pass OK. WINZIP is installed on every machine and can unzip many formats, including the .CAB. It will only create .ZIP files, however.

There are also stringent limitations on what can be installed. Programs which do not write to the registry fly under the radar, at this time. CABARC itself should be fine. LHA is OK but requires yet another download. It would be good if the UI for cabarc, if it exists, does not write to the registry.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: User Friendly CABARC?

Paul,
    Look at cabpack on this page: http://www.freewarestop.com/File_Compression/

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Paul,

Does making a self-extracting zip work? Being an executable, my guess is that the change in the file's header info (eg from PK to MZ) might be sufficient to slip in under your intranet's radar (unless it blocks .EXE files too).

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My understanding is that Outlook itself blocks .EXE attachments. But I suspect NMCI does also.

Thanks

It's better not to send users EXE files, that is, they shouldn't get the mistaken notion that EXE files received in e-mail are as likely okay as not, or that they are mostly installers of some sort. Just a whole lot simpler to train them to never run executables from e-mail.