Super Moderator
    Thanks

Sending Email to Multiple Recipients (Access 2000

I have a number of applications that use Docmd.Sendobject to send emails to a list of people. In each case, I open a recordset in code, then loop through sending an email to each person. This all works OK.

I have a new one in progress however, where the number of emails might grow into into the thousands, so I want to modify it a bit.

As I loop through the recordset, I want to concatenate the addresses into a string (separated by [img]/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img] then use the string as a BCC value. Again, I can get this to work in testing.

My question is this: Is there a limit to how long a string I can pass as a BCC value to docmd.send object.

If there is, I will need to test the length of the string on each pass though the loop, and send off a message whenever I am about the exceed the limit.
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sending Email to Multiple Recipients (Access 2000

As far as I know, Outlook itself does not impose a limit, but
    - If you are on Exchange Server, the Exchange admin may have set a maximum.
    - Many ISP's have a limit on the number of recipients, to prevent spam.
    Moreover, the size of a message increases with the number of recipients; thousands of recipients would probably add hundreds of kilobytes to the message. So I would divide the recipients into groups of, say, 50 or 100.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Sending Email to Multiple Recipients (Access

Thanks Hans

From what you are saying, Access does not itself place a limit on the length of the string I can pass to Docmd.SendObject, but there may be other limits on the use of BCC to send multiple emails. I think I will send them in groups of 50 for the time being and see how it goes.

My first attempts at this were completly unsuccessfull, and as I hunted for an explanation, I thought I found a limit on the size of the string. I can no longer find what I think I found, nor where I found it. It turned out the form I was using was corrupt and just wouldn't send any emails at all.
    Regards
    John