Star Lounger
    Thanks

Inline graphics behaving the same previous version (2002/97)

So, I'm writing up a paper about the conversion from Word 97 to Word 2002 for our department. And one problem that could happen is when we have to take a 2002 version and open it in 97. I see that graphics can be floating all over and such, which could look different in Word 97.

Well, in our papers, we usually are content with inline figures. We don't do brochure layouts or anything. It's all just straight text. I'm trying to convey that in the following paragraph:

Word XP features some new formatting which allows for easier figure placement, including the prevention of overlap. Some of these features are not allowed in Word 97. As a result, opening a Word XP document in Word 97 may mean that floating figures are in different spots. This can be bypassed easily by ensuring that all figures are inline (meaning that Float Over Text is turned off). Visually check each document to verify that they are not floating over the text. There is very little reason that our documents should have floating graphics.

Does this sound accurate to people? Is there any potential problems opening a document with an inline graphic in 97 (aside from graphics in tables with padded cells, but that's another issue)? I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something.

Kevin Elmore

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Inline graphics behaving the same previous version (2002/97)

Sounds OK to me. Except in headers and footers, I prefer inline graphics anyway; floating graphics make it much more difficult to keep the layout of a document correct, even within one version of Word.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Inline graphics behaving the same previous version (2002/97)

Yes, I prefer inline graphics, as well.

And with our migration to Word XP, as well as the very real possibility that we'll be working with clients who insist on documents kept in earlier version (necessitating the existence of Word 97 clients on our workstations), I will need to stress even more than before that we should keep all our graphics inline. In my line of work, there should never be floating graphics (except for some complex pieces with multiple objects, but I fix that by grouping them all, cutting them, and pasting them as inline).

But I'm glad to know that inline graphics act pretty much the same between XP and 97.

Kevin