Lounger
    Thanks

Fields / checkboxes (2000 SP3)

I have a fax template that has both Text fields and a few CheckBoxes. Following the Word Help docs, to make the CheckBoxes allow me to actually put a "check" in them, I have to lock the fields. Of course, when I do that, it also locks the Text fields, which I don't want locked because then I can't click them to put in my own text. I tried just selecting the Checkboxes and locking forms, but it still locks the all. I can get around this by simply opening the template, and locking the forms to check the Checkboxes, and then unlocking forms to use the Text boxes. I wouldn't mind doing that in something like Open Office, but since MS Office costs me big dollars, I would appreciate big performance. At this point, I'm assuming it will indeed do what I'm asking, and I just haven't figured it out yet. ... which is..... when I open the fax template, I want the CheckBox's locked so I can click in them, and the Text fields unlocked, so I can click on those as I usually do, and my typing replaces the instructions that were once there.
    Thanks for any help,
    larry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Fields / checkboxes (2000 SP3)

If you use check boxes from the Forms toolbar, you can also use text fields from this toolbar. Both will be editable when the document is locked for forms.

Locking a document for forms works at the section level. If your document contains more than one section, you can click the Sections... button when protecting the document for forms, and specify which sections will be protected.

Yet another possibility is to use the check box and text box from the Control Toolbox toolbar. These can be used in an unprotected document.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    I tried those suggestions, but when I lock the document for forms, ONLY the checkboxes can be checked, and the text fields cannot be edited. I also tried putting them in different sections, but still, when I lock forms, it seems to lock everything. This is a template I pulled from the ones included with MS Office. Maybe I should rebuild one from scratch. Anyway, if I leave the forms unlocked and then double-click on the boxes, I can set it for "checked." I don't think that is the way it was supposed to work, but it gets the job done. If you want, I can send you the fax.dot and you can see what I'm dealing with.
    thanks,
    larry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If the text fields cannot be edited when the document is locked for forms, they are not text fields from the Forms toolbar. You could replace them with text fields from this toolbar.

If you like, you can attach the document to a reply; remove any sensitive information before doing so. There is a size limit of 100 KB; if the document is too large, create a zip file from it and attach that. (Warning: if you preview your reply, the attachment box is cleared, so fill in the attachment box last, immediately before posting.)

Lounger
    Thanks

yep, .... I replaced them and it works fine. I guess i should not have assumed they were text fields of the Forms kind.

another question .... :-) I am curious as to why when I open a template to edit, it opens in the foreground of other documents. But when I open another document, it opens behind the other open documents. I would rather it open in front of all the other open documents, since it is obviously what I am wanting to see at that time, but I haven't found a setting yet that says foreground vs. background. I know I can ALT+TAB, but I would like all new documents to open in front.
    thanks again,
    larry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No idea, sorry. I use Word 2002 and don't have the problem you mention.

Thanks

Regarding the newly opened document not appearing in front, do you have any procedures running that replace or supplement Word's normal File>Open command? (E.g., document management system.)

Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, yes; I use WOPR. I just checked and as long as I use Word's normal File>Open command, it opens in front. But if I use WOPR's interface to open a doc template, it opens in the background. But if I use WOPR's file management to open an already existing document, it opens in the foreground.

After checking it just now, the only time it appears to open in the background is when I'm starting a new document from the "WOPR File New" interface from a template, which I frequently do.

Thanks

This I really can't help with. You might skim the WOPR forum to see if this has come up before.