Thanks

Most Recent Files Stuck at 4 (2000/9.0.3821 SR-1)

I tried to increase the number of 'recently used files' from the default 4 to 9, but the setting does not take.

Perhaps I chose the wrong search terms, but I didn't find any postings on this problem.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jphn
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Most Recent Files Stuck at 4 (2000/9.0.3821 SR-1)

Just a guess, but are you running Tweak UI? If so, see MSK 301691 and its related links. Also, MSKB 284896. I don't see anything about it restricting the number, but maybe it does. HTH! --Sam
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

Thanks

Re: Most Recent Files Stuck at 4 (2000/9.0.3821 SR

I failed to note my OS. I am running Win98 SE2. Does that make a difference?

Yes I have Tweak UI installed. Under IE it does have "Add new documents to Documents on Start Menu" checked. In fact, all the settings are checked except for the "Clear document..." setting. I think this is the default.

John
    Baumgrenze

Thanks

I must just be too tired. I should also point out that the symtom is not a missing list. The symptom is that using Tools>Options >General and setting the most recent files to 9 instead of 4 had no impact on the number of files that show when I select File in Excel. All of a sudden I find it working!

Maybe, in their cleverness, our friends in Redmond require, in the Excel module of their Suite of Programs (which all work seamlessly and in a similar manner) that you must fully close the program and reopen it for any changes in preferences to 'take.' Now there's a clever idea. I wonder who thought of that. Probably the same person who decided that you MUST close 'FIND' if you want to work in the cell you've found. Someone at Word should teach them how to overcome that problem.

The last time I tried changing the number of files listed, I must have crashed the system or Excel, before I closed it?

John
    Baumgrenze

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

When you increase the number of recently used files to be displayed in the File menu from 4 to 9, the setting should take hold immediately, but...

At that moment, only 4 file names are stored in the registry, so the file menu still lists only 4 recently used files. Only as you start opening other files than the four currently listed (or saving workbooks with other names) will the list start to grow.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry to have sidetracked you. I should have mentioned, as Hans did, that the file list does not grow immediately. Glad that it is working now. --Sam
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

Thanks

Thank you Hans & Sam.

It all makes sense now. I have this vague recollection of trying to reset this years ago and that I just gave up in frustration.

It is good to have a place like the Lounge to learn.

John
    Baumgrenze