Thread: Word Forms

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word Forms

Word and Access 97.

Is there a way to use a word form as a survey-type form and have the information from the form downloaded into Access 97?

BAM

Re: Word Forms

Hi LonnieB,

If you are interested in an automated method from a developers stantpoint, then Cindy Meister, MS Word MVP describes how to accomplish this in this article:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/periodic/period00/MailMergePartI.htm>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/periodic...lMergePartI.htm</A>

If you aren't want a less advanced method then the data entered into the form fields can be saved as a CSV format. The CSV format option is found under Tools/Options/Save and "Save data only for forms"

You could also create a type of "master" document to accumulate the CSV files/records. When you save only the data from the completed form the result is a single record in the CSV format.

To automate this task you could create a macro and run it for each completed form that:
    - Turns on the "Save data..." option
    - Saves document with a specific file name
    - Inserts the contents of the CSV file into the "master" document

This document can then be easily imported into Access. You could automate that as well with a macro that imports the data and then deletes the "master" document contents so the first process can be started over again.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response. I looked at Cindy Meister's article. From what I read and understood, she is only talking about getting data from Access into a Word merge document. I am looking for the opposite.

I will try the CSV method tomorrow.

Again, thanks.

Thanks

I realize this doesn't involve Word, but online survey sites allows you to create a pretty attractive survey and get the results in a spreadsheet format. Fast PCs and connections are preferable due to complex code. Here's a sample Zoomerang survey: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?XK596CVX1YJJ8FV9BW0RC7BA>Rate the Boss Evaluation Form</A>

Thanks

This sounds like it can be done but you might be better off using a web form. That is because a web form is designed to send information to a database.

Word forms can be set to save only the data in the fields. You would then be harvesting this from individual documents using Access.

I would suggest posing your question to the Access and VBA groups.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin