New Lounger
    Shepparton, Victoria

Word 2000 requests a virus scan at startup (Word2000)

This problem is happening on a Dell 4300 PC - with WinXP. The system has Norton Antivirus 2004 installed. The version of Word is 2000, and came packaged as part of Works 2000.

When Word is started, "requesting virus scan..." appears in the Word status bar for several seconds, and then that dreaded message from Microsoft appears, - the one that says something terrible has happened, the program will be shut down and would I like to send a message to Microsoft!! On clicking "don't send" Word shuts down.

If Norton antivirus is disabled, the same "requesting virus scan..." appears in the status bar, but the program takes significantly longer to get to the crash message.

I have managed to get Word to start, without problem, by going to Start/Run and typing "winword -a" (no inverted commas) at the Run prompt. This however is a hack, and I would be grateful if someone could offer a solution to the problem.

Plutonium Lounger

Re: Word 2000 requests a virus scan at startup (Word2000)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Try the following:
    - Open Norton Anti Virus
    - Click Options
    - Activate the Miscellaneous tab
    - Clear the "Enable Office Plug-in" check box
    - Click OK

As long as you have AutoProtect on, disabling the Office Plug-in won't compromise security, but it will rid you of a whole lot of problems.

If that doesn't help, check out Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post>.