Thread: Word meaning

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word meaning

This has to do with FONTS, baseline etc.

What does the word CURNING mean?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word meaning

I think you mean "kerning". This is the adjustment of the space between the letters of one word to make it look better, usually by slightly decreasing the distance. For example, take the word "Away". Since the adjoining lines of the A and the w are parallel, the w can be moved quite close to the A, so that the letters actually overlap vertically. Draw a line from the start of the w straight down, it will intersect the right leg of the A.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, we thought of that and the Client said that it is CURNING. I found this in a web site, where it is the closest I have come to finding a definition.
    "Due to slight variations in fonts (curning, baseline, etc.) substituting fonts may slightly change the layout."

Got a funny feeling this is going to be a long night until I fine this.

Thanks anyway

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I still think it is "kerning"; I suspect that someone heard the word and made a guess at how to spell it. A Google search for curning definition doesn't yield anything relevant to your question.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I agree that someone must've misinterpreted the phonetic pronounciation of the term "kerning" and wound up with the bogus term "curning." For some additional information concerning fonts, kerning, etc. see these MS links:

WD2000: Definitions of Typography Terms in Word

Microsoft Typography Site

MS Typography - A Disagreeably Facetious Type Glossary

If you browse the latter two sites you will find all sorts of minutiae & trivia related to fonts, type & related terminology (probably more than you need to know).

HTH

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As for the two sites that you sent... Thank you. Since this incident started I have been tasked to create a Glossary Manual on all (as many as I can fine) Fonts, Printer, PrePress, Graphics Terminology words that I can fine. Oh, what fun!

Last night we sent a message back to the client and they said that CURNING is the correct word they refered to. They are using Macromedia Freehand software and this software refers to a problem with the curning of a Font. I just opened a insident report right now with macromedia and will see what they have to say.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: As The World Kerns....

I still think someone somewhere got the spelling wrong. I'm not a typography expert, but have never heard of term "curning" ("kerning" I know from its use in Word docs). Took a look at the macromedia web site and did a search, see attached pic for search results....
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Will I finaly found the meaning of CURING

curning is a behavior of fonts wherein it automatically fits in the text box that you created.

An example is that when you create a text box and then you place some text on the said box. You do not need to edit the fonts to fit the text box. It will automatically adjust the height and the width to fit the text box.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's strange that Google cannot find any mention of curning with the meaning you describe. In the text you quoted earlier (http://www.wholesale-displays.com/graphics.htm), it is clearly a misspelling of kerning.