Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

No access to CD & Modem (WXP Home)

I'm trying to help a Senior Citizen who was running W98 Ok until his son installed XP. The computer now doesn't access the CD or the Modem.

The Device Manager recognizes the presence of both the CD drive and the modem, and it indicates that they are functioning properly. However, neither one is otherwise recognized by the computer. I can insert a CD then open "My Computer" and it shows the CD drive, but after clicking on it no files appear. Same thing with the modem, i.e. the Device Manager indicates that the modem is installed and working properly, but any program that tries to access the modem indicates that it's not there. It will recognize and permit access to a USB flash memory in the normal way.

Furthermore, when I attempt to install a driver for the CD or the Modem (from within the Device Manager), it cannot find any suitable drivers and it obviiously can't load them from a CD or from the Internet via the modem. So it's really a catch 22 situation.

XP runs OK, and it can run all the programs on the hard disk, so everything looks quite normal except for the CD and Modem. (I haven't even tried the floppy yet)

Any suggestions on where I should start with this? Unfortunately the computer was cobbled together by the son, and I don't have any idea what devices he has in there other than the CD which is a rather standard Sony R/W unit.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: No access to CD & Modem (WXP Home)

Are the CD and Modem on the Windows XP compatibility list?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Have you found XP drivers for each device?

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I think the next thing I should try is to boot to the XP CD and see if that works. It looks to me like the system is missing the driver for the CD. The XP CD supposedly has a repair facility built-in, and I will try that next. I will also try to run the XP compatibility program to verify that the CD and other peripherals are OK with XP.

This post is actually duplicating my previous post, so I'll quit this one and continue with the original from now on.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.