Lounger
    Thanks

Normal.dot 'change' dialog occurs on every exit (Word XP SP3)

I recently discovered Word MVP Shauna Kelly's excellent website and decided to try out her CompleteWordCount template. I installed it in my Word startup as directed. Ever since doing that, whenever I exit Word I now get the dialog box telling me that changes have been made to Normal.dot (even though I haven't made any) and asking me if I want to save the changes. The CompleteWordCount template and its toolbar work fine while I'm in Word, but having to click through the dialog box on every exit is really annoying. I know that I could avoid it by changing my options setting to automatically save all changes to Normal.dot, but I really don't want to do that. I've tried clicking "Yes" in the dialog box, clicking "No" in the dialog box, removing the CompleteWordCount template from my Word startup directory, and removing all templates from my Word startup directory, but none of these efforts has fixed the problem. The dialog box just keeps coming back relentlessly on every exit. Can anyone tell me what went wrong (or what got changed) and how I can fix it? Thanks in advance for any available help.

Vance Hamilton

Thanks

Re: Normal.dot 'change' dialog occurs on every exit (Word XP SP3)

Global templates and other add-ins that add menu items or toolbars tend to make changes to Normal.dot in that process. If you have unloaded the global templates/add-ins, it's something of a mystery as to what is making the change. Sure there aren't any (ma)lingering?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post> is a good way to find out what causes Normal.dot to be modified.

Thanks

Do you by chance have Microsoft's "Remove Hidden Data" add-in installed? See <!post=this post,354708>this post<!/post> .
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Lounger
    Thanks

John, I did indeed have the "Remove Hidden Data" tool installed, and removing it fixed the problem completely! Many thanks for your help. Thanks also to Hans for pointing me toward Phil Rabichow's excellent message on systematically approaching Word problems; I've saved it so I can refer to it when some other problem crops up in the future. You guys are really great (and smart, too...).

Vance Hamilton

Thanks

Glad to hear that the problem is solved. I struggled with that one for quite a while before stumbling upon the solution. Thanks for posting back.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions