New Lounger
    Thanks

Replication (VB6)

I have written a short aircraft scheduling program (in VB6 sp5) that will have more than one copy on different computers. All users will be changing data. I have created a design master and replica with access (Office 97). When I try to change data I get an error "Operation not supported on replicable that have not been converted to the current version". I have synchronized the replicas.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Replication (VB6)

It sounds as if you may be trying to change the data using a different version of either Access or the Jet engine. How are you doing the synchronization of replicas? Also, what is causing you to use replication rather than connecting to a single database on a LAN? Replication is the right solution in some cases, but can also be the source of considerable grief.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

The laptop is only connected to the LAN maybe 2 or 3 times a week. I am using access(97) for synchronization. I tried to add data before and after synchronization but same error. In the database properties the version ect are the same as the standard database. Thats using the vb6 data manager to display the properties. I have not been able to create the design master in code using DAO or synchronization for that matter. Thats why I used access to convert same

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I frankly have never attempted to synchronize replicas using VB, but it can be done using VBA, so it may well be possible. One place to look is Access 97 Developer's Handbook - it has a fairly detailed section on manipulating replication programatically. In the meanwhile, it sounds as if you have a later version of Access on at least one of your computers, and that has caused trouble. The replication feature changed significantly with Access 2000, and you basically cannot work with an Access 97 replica in 2000 or later.

I also don't understand what you mean with your statement
    <hr>Thats why I used access to convert same <hr>
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

At this stage I am only testing it on one computer.
    All I meant was I could not create the master design or replicas in VB code so I used access 97 to do it.
    Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

From personal experience, a replicated Access 97 database (Jet 3.5) is unable to be edited using Access 2002. Access issues an error message that the data cannot be updated unless the database format is converted. So if your VB6 program is using a version of Jet later than 3.5, I would expect the same type of error. Check the version of Jet you are using and ensure that you use v 3.5.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

New Lounger
    Thanks

I did try changing the connect string (connect using Jet 3.5) with the same error. I will look into the versions and make sure they are all jet 3.5. At least I now what version I need now.

Thanks