Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Installing VSTO (2003)

I'm trying top summon the courage to install VSTO.

My system already has the following installed:

1. VS .NET Pro 2003
    2. Office 2003 Pro.
    3. MSDN Library for VS .NET 2003 (appears to be dated Feb 2003).
    4. Windows 2000 SP 4

In what order do I need to install the CD's that are shipped with VSTO?
    The following is my guess at the order:

1. Windows 2000 SP4, since I already have SP 4 and, more recent updates, I
    ASSuME that I can ignore this CD.

2. Prerequisites CD for VS .NET, since I already VS .NET, I ASSuME that I
    can ignore this CD. Or does this CD have more up to date software?

3. VB .NET Standard. I'll ignore this CD as I already have VS .NET Pro.

4. Three CD's for MSDN for .NET 2003, is this more recent than the Feb 2003
    MSDN Library included with VS .NET 2003?

5. SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition. I do not have SQL Server, Can I still
    install the Developer Edition?

6. SQL Server 2000 SP 3a. I ASSuME this gets installed after SQL Server
    Developer Edition.

7. Access 2003 Developer Extensions (Product key is included)

8. VSTO (no product key is supplied for the CD)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Installing VSTO (with a question)

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>. Installing white rabbit?)

I'm not sure if it will help, but I came across this today:

How to: Install Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office System
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....whiterabbit.asp

It includes an "Order of Installation" section.

Quick question: I've read that you need Office Professional to use VSTO, but do users also need OfficePro to USE a solution developed in VSTO for Word or Excel? The company is upgrading to Office 2003 in July, and I'm trying to scope out the situation, test existing solutions, etc., and make a decision about whether we need to purchase VSTO. But the users here will only have Office Standard. Many thanks!

--Karyl

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanx, I already had that article.

MSFT does not answer my questions with anything I've found at their web site.

I guess I'll find out the hard way.

The document states that yopu need only install Word or Excel, so that may imply that Office Pro is not a requirement.
    Best to call MSFT.

IMHO, tho I've not used VSTO yet, so this is an uninformed opinion( hasn't stopped me before!), VSTO is just a stop gap to suck folkes into .NET untill Office is truly .NET-ized.

For example, .NET stuff cannot be used in global templates.

Thanks

Re: Installing VSTO (2003)

I haven't installed anything .NET or 2003 yet, but these are my thoughts, for what they're worth:

On #4, I inspected the first disc using the program known as Windows Explorer, which you usually can invoke from the Start menu. The msdn.msi file is dated 2/22/2003, and the most relevant looking directory is named "D:Program FilesMSDN2003JAN1033". This leads me to believe it is no more recent than the version you have.

On #5, if you don't plan to develop for SQL Server or its embeddable twin MSDE, you don't need this one. [On #6, yes. And get the Slammer patch, too.]

Unrelated point: I got VSTO sent to me after a demo event for Office 2003 in exchange for my business card. Just in the past few days MS sent me a free CD of Office 2003 Pro, with a note explaining that VSTO doesn't run correctly with the evaluation version they handed out at the event. Right brain: generous! Left brain: it took them 4 months to figure this out?!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't found any of the information I've found on VSTO to be particularly helpful, granted I've just started looking into it. When I saw your comment in a previous post that it didn't support global templates, I was less interested in moving "up," since that's how we're doing lots of stuff. I'd like to have it, to play with, but I think we'll stick with VBA for now. Gives me more time to make the transition, anyway! Any good 3rd-party books on programming Word and Excel with .NET available yet?

--Karyl

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

IMHO, VSTO is just a lot of hype until Office is fully .NET-ized.

I prefer VB for Office automation over VBA.

1. You can compile the code so it may run a lot faster. Perhaps, also true for the .NET lanuages.
    2. Compiled VB is more secure than password protected VBA. .NET Code can be easily decompiled.
    3. VB can be used to automate all Windows versions of Office starting with
    Office 97. VSTO works only with Office 2003.
    4, VB 6 code can use features of VBA 6 not found in VBA 5, yet still run
    with Office 97. VSTO works only with Office 2003.

I'll likely spend about two weaks beating on VSTO to further harden/soften my opinions.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Regarding #4, I agree that it may be identical to the .NET 2003 version, which is installed as "Feb 2003", but there was an update to the .NET Help files (a large download) and the update might be on the CD-ROM. It likely would not hurt to install them.

I cannot develop for SQL Server as I have no system on which to test, but the SQL Server DEveloper Edition might include useful goodies.

My gut feeliing, and I do have a large gutt, is that I would need to install only the Access 2003 Developer Extensions CD and the VSTO CD, but in which order?

This afternoon, I called MSFT and opened a case to try to get an answer.
    It was quite difficult as the customer service and technical support router persons spoke with very heavy accents.
    Wonder if they were in India?

Unfortunately, the VSTO support group works on a call back basis, so now the game of telephone tag begins.
    And their hours are only 06:00 - 15:00 Pacific (West Coast USA) time.

This type of question likely could be handled via email if I elaborate a bit on my posting.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I've been very unimpressed with the online Help/info for VS .NET, botyh for 2002 and 2003.

MSFT put a ton of information out there, but, even for an experienced programmer, trying to find what you need is extremely time consuming or, all too often, results in a dead end search.

It was hard enough moving from WordBasic to VBA.
    The move from VB/VBA to VB .NET is made unnecessarily for difficult due to the poorly organized documentation.

I've been converting a lot of my VBA code to VB, in anticipation that the VB .NET tools for upgrading VB to VB .NET will facilitate migration.
    I'm anxious to see how VSTO affects such migration.

In the case of VSTO, you may have noticed that the product came with a watered down version of the MSFT Press VB .NET Step by Step book.

That's actually a good sign.
    The implication is that MSFT truly wants us to start using VB .NET (and C#) instead of VBA, which is very advaltageous if there are no unnecessary restrictions in a fully .VB NET-ized Office.

By itself, the ability to use a common forms engine, Windows forms, in a .NET-ized Office and in .NET itself is worth the trouble to upgrade.

I'm curious to see what tools MSFT Will provide to facilitate converting VBA to VB .NET, and how they will handle special cases, such as Excel VBA sometimes requiring that arrays start with a lower bound of 1, since ALL .NET languages require that arrays have a lower bound of 0 (unless one rolls their own by using the .NE T array class, which most folkes should avoid).

As far as books are concerned, just buy the relevant VB .NET books.
    I expect that there wil lbe books produced that cover object model changes in the Office apps, but the language themselves are best covered in the VB .NET books.

For VB .NOT, I would suggest starting with BOTH of the following from MSFT Press:

THe VB .NET Step by Step book.
    Francesco Balenea's VB .NET Core Reference book.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Looking at the part numbers on the CDs, the MSDN CDs and the Prerequisite
    CD have the same part numbers as those that came with VS .NET 2003.

My recollection is that for each version of Office I have, there may have
    been an included CD for some version of SQL Server Developer Edition, but
    those CDs would not install because I do not have SQL Server.

I expect that I want to install the Access Developer Edition, in case I ever
    need to distribute an Access db to someone without Access. However, it is
    not clear whether the ADE should be installed prior to VSTO.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Howard,

Each Developers edition has included a developer's edition of SQL Server in its tools starting with Office 2000 MOD. Before that, no. The developers edition of SQL Server installs on your local machine. If you want to do stuff on the network, you need a license for full SQL Server. The Access extensions are part of VSTO, but VSTO doesn't actually require VS.Net, since it includes a standard version of VB.Net.
    Charlotte

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I do not believe I ever installed the SQL stuff with Office 2000 and Office XP.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's painless and includes enterprise manager, etc. It gives you a functioning SQL Server setup on your local machine including all the tools to manage it.
    Charlotte