Star Lounger
    Thanks

Combining Databases (XP PRO)

I've never seen this question and it may be impossible to do but here goes.

I work in a large county jail, the Sheriff has a number of independent programs which do jobs related to a specific section, as an example, the payroll staff have an Access program which tracks based on Date of hire, the Administration tracks based on assignment, The patrol division tracks based on training level and rank, etc.

These databases are all totally seperated and some have some specific modules coded into them. The problem is that each one has a staff field, Date of Birth field, Phone field, etc. with 600 plus employees there are changes made daily to the different fields, hire, fire, move, etc. so keeping the different databases accurate is impossible, one might find out about a new phone, another has a new hire or additional training but they do not share the information.

I want to combine the data, from all the different databases into a single central mdb file on the server.

My question is this, is it possible to combine the modules and code for the databases into one, including all events, so I do not have to write all the On events?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Combining Databases (XP PRO)

I would create a central database with tables such as a Staff table, but keep the "applications" as separate databases. Each of the separate databases would have its own forms etc., but the tables would be linked to the central database. That way, if information is updated, the modifications are stored in the central database, and all "applications" see the updated information.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Combining Databases (XP PRO)

Yes, it should be possible to combine them into a single application, though depending on the organizational structure and the people involved, you may encounter some significant challenges and people problems. One method would be to combine the staff table only, and attach to it as a linked table in all the databases. That way the code involved could be left in the specific application. It would help significantly if the databases are already split into a front-end and a back-end. However if the staff table has different field names in each database, you will still have to make changes in some of the front-ends. Also, if you are using a primary key in the staff table as a link in records in another table, you will have to develop a process to update the existing data in any such table. Another issue to consider is who would be able to make changes in the staff table - if anyone is allowed to, you may want to track who made the change and when. This is not an unusual situation in the Access world - we encounter it fairly frequently.
    Wendell