New Lounger
    Thanks

Global Templates (Word 2003)

I am having a peculiar problem. I have created a global template to manage our autotext entries, macros, etc. so that everyone can personalize their Normal.dot. My problem is that once a 2nd document is opened or created from a template and the user moves between the two open documents a second set of special tool bar icons appears. These are stored in the global template that is loading on startup. I absolutely do not have these in each and every other template we use. The really funny thing is that when I look in Templates and Add ins it appears as if the global template has been loaded a second time. I can continue to open or create new documents without duplicating the tool bar icons over and over, they will only appear twice. I can even remove the second instance of the global template, thus removing the duplicate icons and then open or create more documents without this phenomenon occuring again until I close and re-open Word.

I wouldn' t be too worried but I just know that I'm going to get alot of questions about why this is happening and can't I just fix it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Global Templates (Word 2003)

> when I look in Templates and Add ins it appears as if the global template has been loaded a second time

Is there any chance that you have some hidden-away code that auto-loads the global template? That procedure might be failing to "recognize" that the first copy already is loaded.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

When you create the new (2nd document) from "a template", is it being created from the global template? If so, you can get double toolbars (from the attached template & the global template).

However, when I try that in Word 2000, the template isn't listed twice in Tools/Templates & Add-ins, but maybe Word 2003 has changed. Is the template being loaded from two different (startup) locations?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have a self-generating form in the Global template. For most of our templates we need a "fill-in" form to enter basic info for use in the document. To make it easier on me I created the self-generating form then created a reference to it in each of the templates that use it, then I call it from a macro when the document is being created. I couldn't figure out any other way to do it. I'm fairly sure that the "reference" to the gobal template is what is making it load a second time. This didn't happen in 2000, that's what I was using when I first started creating all this but the powers that be decided to go with 2003 and voila the problem showed up. Is there a way to call the form without creating the reference to the global template? The templates that don't need a reference to the global template don't cause this problem. If this isn't enough info I can send samples of the global template and a regular template.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I've just replied to another post regarding this matter and that might answer your first question, I don't think it's being created from the global but I'm not sure. I do know the template is not being loaded from two different startup locations.

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

Ok, on my way home I thought maybe I could just put the form in a second global template with nothing else. Then it shouldn't matter that it's referenced in the second template and it shouldn't cause the problems I'm having now. But, I still wish I knew why it's happening in the first place. In any case, if you guys have any idea what's going on let me know. I hate to have to go back through all the templates we use and change the reference to the global template I have now to a new one. But, I'm pretty sure that will fix the problem. Sort of...

Thanks for all your help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If your other templates are referencing the global templates possibly this is where the second entry is coming from. I have never done a global template that way so I am not sure your path is correct but I would try removing the template from the start up list and then relying on the reference to the 'supposedly global' template to bring it in.

Why do you need to reference the global template from your other templates? Doesn't loading the template as an add-in suffice - the code should be able to stand alone without relying on another template that may or may not exist.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

> Why do you need to reference the global template from your other templates? Doesn't loading the template
    > as an add-in suffice - the code should be able to stand alone without relying on another template
    > that may or may not exist.

I'm with you on that Andrew.
    None of our company-templates contain any VBA code, not one line. I've put all code and forms in a special code-template that is placed in the Word startup folder. This way all Subs and Functions are available to all templates during the Word session, so there's no redundancy. And none of the templates have a reference to this code-template.

Thanks

Some people insist that the only good way to call code in a different template is to add it as a reference. Others (me included) are perfectly happy using Application.Run. You probably have to create a public procedure in a regular code module in order to load the userform. Otherwise, it shouldn't present any special problems.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    I have experienced a similar problem before where my global template was loading up twice (it was added twice in the Templates & Add-Ins, and the toolbars showed twice). Again like you I only had one startup up location. However, I did have my global template somewhere else in another folder in my c:drive and in another instance I had a copy in my Recycle bin. Once I deleted all other instances of my global template everything went back to normal. It was like Word was being helpful and loading up any instance of my global template it found.

So do a search for your global template and delete all other instances and see if this solves your problem.
    Cheers
    Lynn

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, it worked like a charm. I already had the procedure because I wanted to make the form available on demand if the user wanted to go back and change something or update the document so it was easy.

Thanks again.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I ended up using jscher2000's idea and it worked out great. The only reason I was referencing the global template was because the userform has to load everything a document is created with the regular template. All my documentation said to do it that way. I didn't have any problems running the form from a macro after the document was created. Anyway, all is well Application.run works great and totally eliminates the need to reference the global template. Thanks for your thoughts on the issue though.