Star Lounger
    Thanks

network auto-logon

i recently upgraded one of the computers on my home network from Win98SE to W2k ... now, whenever one of my other w2k machines tries to access it, i get unknown user or incorrect password message ... i enter the correct userid and pswd and i'm in ... but, how do i set up my w2k machines to auto logon to the newest member of the network ... BTW, my winxp machine see the new w2k machine with no auto-logon problems, and the other win2k machines can talk to each other without problems ...

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: network auto-logon

How are you encountering this error message? Are you browsing the network, using mapped drives, or something else?

You need to have a user account set up on the Windows 2000 machines that are trying to access each other. You can assign whatever privileges you like to the user account, but it must exist on both the target and the source PC.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

i encounter the message when i try to access the new win2k machine from another win2k machine on the network ... i have the appropriate accounts on both machines because once i get the message, i can enter the userid and pswd and then i'm in ... i do not map my drives ... what i'm looking for is a way to network auto login, just like the tweakui utility when you boot up a local machine ... either a reg tweak or a utility ... and i know it must exist because i have 2 other win2k machines on the network and THEY can automatically talk to each other no problem ... hmmm

any suggestions?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmn, maybe we need to check something here. On the machine that you are trying to connect to over the network (not the machine you are connecting from), go to Start - Run and enter fsmgmt.msc and then press ENTER. When the share manager opens, click on Shares in the left hand pane. Do you see an entry for IPC$?

Are all of these systems in the same Workgroup?

I keep thinking that you must have existing credentials cached somewhere, and that's why you get a prompt for username and password. Something else you could try is to create a new drive mapping to the trouble PC, and make certain that you click on the link in the share wizard that reads Connect using a different user name. Enter the correct credentials, and then disconnect the network drive. This should reset any cached credentials that Windows is attempting to use to connect to the new system.

A note - make sure you do this before entering a username/password to access that system. You need to start from a known point in the process.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

i went to fsmgmt and attached are the entries ... in particular, i do have an entry for IPC$

i think you hit the nail on the head when your suggested that my exisiting credential is cached somewhere ... i don't think i set the troubled computer up properly to begin with ... let's say i have 2 computers: newcarrie and newlindsay ... administrator profile is the person logging on locally and on the network (i know it's not the best way to configure this system but i would rather not add any new users) .. what i did is setup an account entitled newlindsay on newcarrie in the users icon in control panel ... and, as you see, that does not work ... when i try to access newcarrie from newlindsay, i got an invalid username error message ... i then type in the administrator user and pswd and i'm in! how should i have set this up instead?

BTW, i didn't follow your discussion above on connecting using a different user name ... i could not find that wizard ... where do i start?

thanks for your help
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If newcarrie and newlindsay have different passwords, that is your problem. You need to make sure that a user account on the machine named newcarrie exists on newlindsay with the EXACT same password. The permissions for newcarrie are mostly irrelevant; you are only trying to establish a connection between the two systems. In order for that to succeed you need to ensure that a) they are in the same workgroup and [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] that a matching user account exists.

To find the Map Network Drive wizard, open Windows Explorer and click on Tools -> Map Network Drive and you should be in the proper place.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

i'm not sure i entirely understand ... all of my systems boot up automatically to the administrator account ... is what you're saying: (1) i don't need an account on newcarrie for the newlindsay machine? (2) instead, the administrator account for newlindsay must have the same pswd as the administrator account for newcarrie, that way when newlindsay tries to access newcarrie, under the auto user, the passwords will be the same?

if this is correct, then i have a little problem ... i control the pswd for newlindsay's administrator, but my wife controls the pswd for newcarrie administrator ... and my wife won't like to change her password!! so, either i have to change the administrator's password for new lindsay or set up a new user on both newlindsay and newcarrie and make their passwords the same!! if that's so, how do i create the same profile for the newuser as newlindsay's current administrator's profile? ie, i want access to the same programs and the same files in MyDocuments, for example?

thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

No no - you need a matching account on each machine, both in username and password. Newcarrie must exist as a user on Newlindsay with the same password, and vice versa. Otherwise you will be prompted for a password each time you initiate a new connection over the network.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

i had a matching account on each machine but it was the machine's name not the user's name (on a machine) ... now that that's straightened out, i would like to organize my users better ... the problem is that now all of my users are administrators .. how do i copy my an entire profile (including desktop, files, registry, etc) from what was the administrator to user, eg, steve??

thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You should be able to copy a user profile through the System entry in Control Panel. Look on the Advanced tab for the User Profiles section. If you click on the button labeled Settings there, you will have an option to copy a user profile to a new name. You can then change the user type as well.

Is that what you were looking for?
    -Mark