3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Surname in Salutation and Body (Word 2002)

Hello everyone:

I have a standard letter, that goes out to all prospective Clients. The prospective client(s) are not placed in a data bank until after I send the letter by email. I find it very bothersome to retype the surname twice.

Is it at all possible to be able to type a surname in the salutation, and the body without the repetitive typing?

example:

Mr. Snowman
    123 Anywhere
    Anywhere City
    Mars, Earth

Mr. Snowman, feel free to visit the company site at www.marsearth.com

Thanks

dillon

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Surname in Salutation and Body (Word 2002)

I would use a unique style for the first Mr Snowman such as name and then where the second Mr Snowman is to appear I would add a styleref field by pressing Ctrl-F9 and typing inside the funny brackets StyleRef "name"

When you change the name and update the fields, the second one will change automatically.

I update the fields with the keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl-a, F9)
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Andrew:

Thank you for your quick response, and support. I am a bit confused with the first part of your instructions.

George Bush
    President
    123 Washington Avenue
    Washington D.C.

Dear Mr. Bush

Mr. Bush, feel free to visit our company site at www.historicviews.com

Andrew, should I put the insert on the same line as (Dear Mr. Bush) or (George Bush)

Thanks dillon

Super Moderator
    Thanks

That sample is different to the one you first used and puts a different complexion on things.

The second occurence of the surname introduces a new variable (salutation = Mr). Where is this information coming from?

In the long run, the previous method will now be too labour intensive to save any time for just three entries so perhaps you would be better off using three ask fields and cross referencing those. The attached document demonstrates what I mean. When you open it up (if you are not prompted automatically), kick off the ask fields by selecting all and pressing F9. If you want to discover how it was done, select all and press Shift-F9 to reveal all the field codes.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Dillon:
    Another possibility is to use a protected form. Since the letter is standard, you can have a template that has all the boilerplate. The first instance of the name (& the other variable information in the address) would all be text form fields. Then you would use REF fields where you want the information to repeat. You can use a drop down formfield for the title.

Take a look at the attached letter. You can tab from one form field to the next & make changes. You will notice that the salutation will change if you change the addressee after you tab out of the form field. Then unlock the form (using the forms toolbar). Double click each field in turn to see how it was set up. You can set capitalization formats (so you can type "des moines" & have it come out "Des Moines". You can see how you each form field has calculate on exit checked & note the bookmark names of each formfield.

While the form is unprotected, press Alt+F9 to see how the REF fields pick up the information in the formfield.
    Hope this helps,
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Andrew:

I do apologise, if I was not clear, I didn't mention the name above the address, only because I have to manually type that, I was more concerned with the salutation, and the body. I will try your instructions, and see how it works.

Thanks for your support.

dillon

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Denise:
    I received your email with your attached document. There is nothing unusual about what you want to do & the solution I mentioned above should work.

1. Start by saving your document as a template. Just open the document, press F12, & change the type to template. Word will suggest saving the template in the templates folder. If you have a subfolder for letters, you might want to navigate to it.
    2. Then open your template (NOT a document based on the template) & open the document I previously attached.
    3. Unlock my document, copy each of the fields one at a time & paste them in the appropriate place in your document. They will replace the addressee & the salutation.
    4. Protect your document for forms (Tools/Protect Document.../Forms). You can password protect the document if you want to prevent users from making any changes outside the formfields.

I notice that you also have a link to your website near the closing of the document. There are two ways to deal with this. The easiest is to insert a continuous section break at the beginning & end of the paragraph containing the hyperlink. Then go to Tools/Protect Document.../Forms/Sections button & UNcheck section 2. When you now protect your document for forms, the paragraph containing your link will not be protected & the hyperlink will work.

The other method is a macro method that is described here
    Hope this helps,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Phil:

Thank you so very much for your advice, and support. I am positive that the results will be more easier for me to manage a job in less time.

Again, thank you for your support

dillon65

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Phil:

I have a question for you, I need to send out the actual document, but I can't do this if I have the text fields, and the drop down, showing in protected form.

Is there a way around this thanks.

dillon

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I understand you are using formfields and fields. What you could do is:

1. Unprotect the document
    2. Make a copy to work on
    3. Select each formfield / field and put it on the clipboard (Ctr-C)
    4. Leave it selected and go to Edit | Paste Special...
    5. Choose Paste as plain text - the formfield / field is now replaced by its content

Of course you can select larger portions of text and use the same method to get rid of the formfields / fields. But use only chunks that have the same formatting / style applied, because this kind of pasting eliminates all formatting.

This could be automated, of course. I remember I coded something like this in the past, but cannot find it...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Denise:
    I see what you mean. What you can do is:
    1. Unprotect the document.
    2. Select everything (Ctrl+A).
    3. Press Ctrl+Shift+F9 to unlink all the fields.

It is possible to turn off shading for form fields & also for other fields in a protected form, but the dropdown button would still show. Nevertheless, whoever receives this document online might have different options set on their computer. Since this is not what you want, you could either use a text form field, rather than the dropdown, or use the ASK field that Andrew suggested earlier.
    Cheers,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello JB, Phil:

Phil thank you so very much for all your time and support, I greatly appreciate it.

dillon