3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bloated XP Home (XP Home)

My PC started booting and running rather slowly so I went to defrag the hard drive and found the c: partition nearly full. (swap file on another partition).

I keep all my data in another partition, but I was really surprised to find how much stuff had accumulated in "documents and settings" under the name "owner". No-one signs on under "owner", though I do network the PC and have spotted that the other PC can refer to some things as "owner" even when I am signed on as "Mike". What is creating these and putting there there, and can I move it to my data drive safely? If its worth having, I want to protect it with my backup routines.

I also spotted that I have up to 3 copies of some really large files (250meg cab files etc) in c:i386; C:windows; and c:windowsi386). Can I prune these, and which should I keep.

Finally, I found a diectory on another partition called "MSOCache" which seemd to look a lot like the "document and settings" structure, but for "all users". I have never consciously put it there, but may have tried to move "My documents"

Sorry to bundle threee questions in one, but they are all space related

Mike C

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Bloated XP Home (XP Home)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 15-Apr-04 07:40. )</P>When you first set up this PC, did you rename an account to Mike? If so all of "Mike's" stuff is being saved under the "Owner" folder.
    I have seen this many times. People will just go in and rename an account and all this does is change the "Name to be displayed", but will continue to use the old folder in the "Documents and Settings" folder.

If you have 3 copies of these i386 files, then some has tried to install Windows more than once. You need to figure out which one has been set as the source of the CAB files and then you should be able to remove the others.
    (edit) I just checked my system and have a "i386" folder at many locations. Be sure that these files are NOT needed, before deleting any of them.

The MSOCache folder(s) is the cab files for MS Office, so you do NOT need to put the CD in every time it calls for it. When Off was installed, the installer asked if these files were to be copied to the hard drive and where.

Also, what make and model is this computer?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dave,

thanks for your help..... to take your points in turn then,

Yes, when I set up the PC I may well have renamed the account from owner to Mike, though interestingly there is also a documents & setting for Mike as well. Presumably what should happen is that a new user is created? Maybe that is what to do now. Once I have a new persona up and running can I just delete the old users, and would that delete the associated data? Is "owner" special in any way?

The PC was built and had the OS installed by the manufacturer (or at least before it got to me). It happens to be an HP Pavillion. I have kept up to date with all M/S updates. To the best of my knowledge it has only ever had that one installation of XP Home. Interesting. Am I right that the cab file are only needed if the installation of an application changes, and that they are not referred to on an ongoing basis? If I make sure that a single copy of all of the files is retained, and put them all in one place will the application challenge me for the location if and when they are needed? I did try searching the registry for one of them and found out which directory it was registered in. is that the sort of thing I might have to do?

Again I dont remember setting up the MSOCache directory. Works was pre-installed and I put Office on as well,. In any event it seems a good thing to keep.

Mike C

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dave,

sorry about this, but I read your reply from the email sent to me and composed my reply of-line. It didnt show me the i386 listings, so I never commented on them. XP is on my home PC and I will check when I get back there, but yours looks altogether more tidy than mine. I didnt realise that there were so many i386 directories - is this a standard that all well behaved applications are expected to comply with?

Cheers,

Mike C

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You did NOT get the image in your email notification, because I edited the post to add it.

If you have set up a new user account and have copied ALL wanted files, you can delete the unused accounts. When doing so, you are given a choice to remove account only or account AND files. I use the "And files" as it will clean up the complete folder.

If you noticed that several of these folders are from the different programs that I have installed.

By the way, this is a Sony 420, with very little tweaking of the OS.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.