Star Lounger
    Thanks

Delegate (Outlook 2002 (XP))

Hi Folks!
    I hope you can help me. In Outlook XP (and the versions before) you have the possibility to enter a delegate who can send and answer mails on behalf of you. (Usually found under Extras - Options). But if this "deputy" of yours is sending mails, the recipient never knows if this mail came from you or your delegation. So my question now is: Is there a way that I can enter a text wich will appear an all mails my substitute is sending? (i.e. This mail was sent on behalf of Max Headroom (or something))
    I hope you can help me. Thx a lot in advance!
    Philipp
    __________________________________________________ ________
    Murphys Law rules the world, bow to it!

3 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Delegate (Outlook 2002 (XP))

Hi Philipp,

You need to be running through exchange. Under tools/options there will be a permissions area where you can set the delegate (I am composing this from home so don't have the exact option available). You can nominate a delegate, then when you message is sent by your delegate it has the "on behalf of ..." added.

If you don't have any luck post back and I will respond from work where I have the exact options to choose.

Cheers

Thanks

Don't know if OL XP has this option but in OL 2003, when you compose a new message, the View item on the menu bar has the option to view the "From" field. If you have a delegate seding the email on your behalf, have him/her click on the From button (to open the address book), and then click on YOUR name. When the message is received, the From field displays the delegate's name plus "on behalf of" and your name.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Karen!
    I'm working on Exchange 2000. I nominated a colleague of mine as a delegate and had him send a message to another colleague. No trace of "on behalf of" in the whole message. To the other colleague it appeared as I had sent the message.
    Under tools/options you can only set permissions like "read", "read/write" for the different folders (sent items, inbox,...), but nothing else.
    Do you have any other ideas? 'Cause I don't have. :-)

Thx anyway!
    Philipp

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Philipp,

I will have to check this out at work (no exchange server at home) - I know you can get what you want (we have our mail set up like that at work). I will post back on Monday with more precise "how to".

Cheers

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Karen!
    Thx for your answer. I'm looking forward to your solution.
    Have a nice weekend!
    Philipp

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Philipp,

Below is a extract from the Help menu - works fine here

Delegate Access permissions
    This feature requires you to be using a Microsoft Exchange Server e-mail account.

The levels of permission that a delegate can be granted are as follows:

Author As a delegate, you can read and create items, and modify and delete items you create. For example, a delegate can create task requests and meeting requests directly in the manager's Task or Calendar folder, and then send either item on the manager's behalf.

Editor As a delegate, you can do everything an Author can do, plus modify and delete the items the manager created.

Reviewer As a delegate, you can read items; for example a delegate with Reviewer permission can read messages in another person's Inbox.

Note With author or editor permissions, the delegate has send-on-behalf-of permission. Sent messages contain both the manager's and delegate's names. Message recipients see the manager's name in the Sent On Behalf Of box and the delegate's name in the From box.

If a delegate needs permission to work with meeting requests and responses only, the manager can select the user on the Delegates tab (Tools menu, Options command), click Permissions, and then select the Delegate receives copies of meeting-related messages sent to me check box. The manager does not need to grant permission to their Inbox. Meeting requests and responses will go directly to the delegate's Inbox. The delegate will, however, need editor permission to the manager's Calendar folder, because once they respond to the meeting on behalf of the manager, the meeting is automatically added to the manager's Calendar folder.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Karen!
    Thx a lot for your help. The problem is, it still isn't working properly. I read your instructions carefully but there's one thing that I don't get:
    "Note With author or editor permissions, the delegate has send-on-behalf-of permission. Sent messages contain both the manager's and delegate's names. Message recipients see the manager's name in the Sent On Behalf Of box and the delegate's name in the From box."
    On our system there is no way to display that "Sent On Behalf Box". Either I'm too stupid to find it or it simply isn't there. Remember we are working on Outlook 2002 and Exchange 2000 in a Windows 2000 Domain (Active Directory).
    Any more ideas are gladly appreciated!
    Philipp