3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Setting the Language

One of my clients has a problem with Word 97 and the language. They are running a metaframe system and the workstations are essentially dumb-terminals.

I have created templates that all use the English (NZ) language setting - these all work.

I have also created a Normal template with the same language settings. I have modified the normal style to use English (NZ), I have also selected the entire document (one paragraph) and checked under Tools, Language to see that the Language is English (NZ). It is.

When the system engineer loads this normal template he is telling me that when he goes to Tools, Language the language is English (US).

On any other system I've worked on, I've had the engineers modify the input locales on the keyboard settings to use the English (NZ) language and removed English (US), as well as getting them to make sure that their regional settings are also showing New Zealand. This has always worked. My "friendly" engineer is telling me that there is no point changing the input locales as this is governed elsewhere on a metaframe system.

Now the engineer in question, has "created" another Normal template (presumably by deleting Normal and getting Word to recreate it). What we are left with is a template where the Normal style contains English (US), but the first (and only) paragraph mark in the Normal template shows English (NZ) from Tools, Language.

Is there anything anyone can tell me about how Word works in a metaframe system, or anything else I should be looking at to fix this problem.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Setting the Language

We utilize metaframe for remote access and training. I can check with our engineer at work, although she may not know because it isn't an issue we've had to deal with. I do know that she stresses that a metaframe server is different, and somewhat finicky on what it will and will not accomodate because of the session structure.

If I had to guess, it's part of the user profile. Is there a master profile like Win2K uses (AllUsers) that could be modified?
    Karen

Thanks

Maybe this thread will help?
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=wrd&Number=31868>Word defaults to Arabic</A>

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Karen, my "friendly" engineer has finally decided that I'm not speaking through a whole in my head (kept telling him he should be able to set the language correctly) and is looking further into it.

From my investigations I think there are some profile settings that need to be modified.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We've tried most of that but the point about the registry settings was interesting - I'll suggest it to the engineer.