Star Lounger
    Thanks

Update Header and Footer Changes From Template (Word 2003)

Could anyone give me some pointers on how I could write a macro that would take the contents of each header and footer in the attached template and copy it to the document. I have code that will copy page setup attributes that may change after modifying a tamplate but I would enjoy being able to change the contents of headers and footers in documents that were created before I modified my template.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gary Hunt

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Update Header and Footer Changes From Template (Word 2003)

It sounds simple when you say it but there is a lot of complexity hidden here.

How many sections are in the template and how many in the document?
    Do you use Different First Page or Even and Odd headers in any of these sections?
    Do the page setups match in each of the sections within the template, do they match in the document, do they match between the document and the template?
    Are there likely to be floating objects in any of the headers or footers?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Update Header and Footer Changes From Template (Word 2003)

Andrew,

Thanks for responding and asking me these questions. I was not trying to oversimplify it but I am glad to learn what all is involved in dealing with this subject since I am sure it might be fairly common situation although as you rightly say the solution has many complexities. As to your questions.

Each document will match the types of sections in the template but each template has two sections when it is created, one for a table of contents and the other for outlines, each consisting of the same type of sections, if I am being clear.

The two sections are Different First Page for headers and footers.

I have not tested it lately but I have a macro that is supposed to copy the page setup from the attached template to the document. They then are supposed to match. Then, would come the header and footer contents.

In the Different First Page header of the first section of the template there is a text box anchored to the header paragraph which would be nice if it could be copied to as a part of the header range.

Hope this clarifies some things and again I am grateful for your help.

Gary Hunt