2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Network sleeping?

My network is 802.11G between a XP Pro (laptop) and XP Home (desktop) machines. There are times that when the desktop (XP-H) accesses files (e.g., Outlook PST or MS Money) on the Laptop (XP Pro) there is a noticable delay in access time. It almost seems as if the laptop has gone to sleep for lack of interest and only wakes up after the desktop knocks repeatedly on its door (to put it in a very technical sense). File access times following this seem OK until there is very little activity for a period of time then it happens again on the next access.

Can there be some type of re-certification or other security measures built into XP-P that may be causing this delay and if so, can it be turned off? Or, am I just imagining this delay?

Thanks

Re: Network sleeping?

The power management settings for network cards are amongst the properties for the network cards, not in the usual Power Options control panel. If you open the properties dialog, you should find a Power Management tab. Try unchecking the option to let the computer turn off the device and see if that helps.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In addition, have you checked two things: 1)Power option in Control Panel and 2) The Machine BIOS to see if it has power saving turned on? On my old Gateway laptop I had to turn power control in the BIOS to "off" so it AND Windows wouldn't both be trying to manage power saving. I'm thinking here of mainly power to the hard drive, which would also cause delay while the drive spins up to speed.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Yes - checked both. Control panel power options is set to never power down when plugged in (thats when I observe the problem). The machine bios does not have a power save functions.

Bill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I checked that to be sure and the setting is to never disable. Seems strange - something is at work here slowing the initial handshake.

Bill