Thanks

No video on Windows startup (XP SP1)

After the Windows spalsh screen appears, I lose video. This happens with the onboard controller and with the Radeon 9600 card, so it doesn't appear to be a controller problem. Sometimes video will appear after 3-4 minutes, and sometimes turning the monitors (dual) off and on will bring up the video. Thanks for any suggestions!!
    JimmyW
    Helena, MT

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: No video on Windows startup (XP SP1)

What have you changed? Do you have the most current ATI drivers?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Thanks, Joe. Nothing has changed, it started all of a sudden. I'm downloading the latest drivers as I'm writing this reply. Since it's also happening with the onboard video controller, I'm not confident that the drivers will help, although the ATI drivers may load even if I'm not using the ATI card.
    JimmyW
    Helena, MT

Administrator
    Thanks

On some systems I've observed a blank screen when Windows is updating files from some software install or checking for new hardware. Usually, it is on slower systems that the wait becomes noticable. Could you be having networking problems? Windows will wait for a long time if it is expecting/hoping for a network to respond or start up.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

I just updated the driver and restarted, and Windows came up after the splash screen went black for about 30 seconds. I'm rebooting again, and see that the system hangs for a minute or so before restarting. The machine is on a network, but doesn't depend on any netowrk resources to load, as far as I know. Well, Windows loaded okay again, so maybe it's fixed. Could the resolution setting have anything to do with this? Thanks!
    JimmyW
    Helena, MT

Administrator
    Thanks

It is doubtful that the resolution would casue what you've described. Even though you say that no network resources are need to load Windows, if you have any drive mappings setup, shared devices, or tell Windows explorer to automatically find shared network devices Windows will try to find all those and re-establish a connection. If Windows has difficulty establishing the connection it can go into a rather long network timeout waiting period.

Joe
    Joe