New Lounger
    Thanks

4 Gb DVD Recording Limit (SP1)

Ref: MS KB article 329112
    I have had RecordNow Deluxe for a few weeks. At first, I either didn't recognize that there was a problem when I exceeded 4 Gb on a second burn, or I didn't have the problem. Eventually, though, I saw that I had a problem. Then I installed an update from Sonic and the problem went away. On all the DVDs that had files disappear because I exceeded the 4 Gb limit, the files reappeared. I tested this, and the files showed up in Windows and RecordNow, and I could copy them from a DVD to a hard drive. Yesterday, I installed MS critical updates KB837009, KB831167, KB837001, KB828741, KB835732, plus some other updates affecting DirectX, and misc. Today I discovered that the 4 Gb limit is back. I reinstalled the Sonic update, but that didn't help. The KB article lists a udfs.sys file that will fix the problem, but I have not been able to find it as a download. Any recommendations?

Bill Martz

Thanks

Re: 4 Gb DVD Recording Limit (SP1)

Was the article perhaps suggesting that you select the UDF (Universal Disc Format) file system when creating the burn? If you don't have this option, have a look on the 'RecordNow' site.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks

No, this is what is said in the KB article: The problem is caused by a rounding error in the UDF reader (udfs.sys)." There is a replacement file listed, but you can't get it without going through tech support. Before I took a chance on having to pay $35, I thought I would see if anyone was familiar with this problem and what must be done to fix it.

Bill

Thanks

This Knowledge Base article gives some workarounds for the problem. If none of the suggestions work, can you do a system restore to the state prior to your installation of the latest Windows patches that you mentioned? If this works, then you can reapply the patches (one at a time and creating restore points before each application) to eliminate the one that is causing the problem. In the article I refer to above, I don't see any mention of a downloadable udf.sys file. You say that you have found one however. If there is a file to correct this problem (and MS acknowledges that this is a known problem), then they do not usually charge the standard tech support fee to obtain the file.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions