3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File Time Stamp Change (XP Home/Pro)

It appears that when my computer changes time, to/from Daylight Savings, the time stamp on every file on the hard drive gets changed by one hour also. This is now the second time this has happened to me and came to my attention when I "synchronize" the files on my laptop with my desktop using LapLink. I perform this synchronization weekly and typically there are an expected number of files transferred between the computers. However, after a time change, LapLink reports that all of the files on my desktop have changed since the last sync and wants to copy all files to the notebook. A closer look revealed that all of the files on the desktop indicate a one hour time difference from the same files on the notebook - they were sync'd last week and the files on neither computer were modified since that time.

Has anyone else encountered this file time stamp change on change of Daylight Savings time?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File Time Stamp Change (XP Home/Pro)

This is an ancient bug (or design flaw -- or possibly now a feature?) which has plagued all NT-derived operating systems ever since NTFS was invented. See <!mskb=129574>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 129574<!/mskb>

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Interesting you mention this. I had not noticed, but when my (trial version) Outpost Pro firewall updated itself yesterday, it reported that at least a dozen already installed files were newer than the new ones it had downloaded. This probably was the explanation. How totally lame!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok, but that brings up another question. The two computers I am using are both running XP (one Pro and one Home). Why don't they both adjust their times the same way? When I synchronize, the files are 1 hour different.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Make sure that the adjust for Daylight savings is checked on BOTH machines.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Both machines are set to adjust for Daylight Savings time and both do that adjustment correctly. However, one changes the time stamp on all files while the other does not appear to do that. I am not positive, but I believe the XP Home machine is the one that changes the time stamp but the XP Pro does not. If this is a universal problem with W2000/XP, why wouldn't both of these machines make the same change, so that what were identical files (name and time stamp) before the time change had the exact same date and time stamp after the time change?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I checked the time stamps. The files on the notebook (XP Pro) are 1 hour later than the files on the desktop (XP Home) but I am not sure which computer actually changed its file time stamps. I just know that they both did not change them. Why would one computer do it and not the other?

Lounger
    Thanks

This problem has come up again for me too - I have an ME laptop and a XPhome desktop. It certainly screws up the file syncronizations ...

From the previous posts and the knowledgebase article I understand why it happens, but more importantly I'd like to know how to fix it!

Can I make ME behave the same way as XP, or vice versa? If I turn off automatic daylight savings time implementation on the XP machine will it stop XP from doing it when I change the time manually (or have the clock sync program do it)? Or will this screw things up properly?

Is there a handy utility for changing the datestamp of files by 1 hour?

Thanks Richard

Super Moderator
    Thanks

What files are the "Time stamps" being change on?
    And why you think they should NOT be changed?

Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't checked every file on my machine, and cross-sync only the files in my 'documents' subdirectory, so I cannot say for certain, but I don't think there is anything unique about that subdirectory so I suspect all files would be changed.

Any why should they not be changed? Well, I'd have thought that obvious. Surely a 'creation time' is that time of the day that I sat down at the box and pounded out the thing: whether it happened to be Pacific Daylight or Pacific Standard time was not critical, just that it was five in the afternoon in the particular environment that I happened to be in at the time. Perhaps, for legal purposes, it should have a dual date/time stamp, that of local time and of Universal Coordinated Time (or whatever the standard is). But I only work in local time and I'm not a lawyer, And this changing of times has screwed up my syncronizing of files! Is that enough reason?

What I'd really like to do is fix it so I don't have this problem every 6 months.

Richard

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by JohnGray on 02-Nov-04 08:40. Edited to add reference to Microsoft TechNet article)</P>Richard

Microsoft hasn't managed to fix this "feature" since the early days of NT, earlier than 1995. I suspect that it is just something you have to live with -- unless you want to write a BATch file which TOUCHes each affected file created during the seven (or five!) months of Daylight Saving Time each year, subtracting one hour each time.

A useful source of depressing information can be found in Windows File Dates and Times, which basically indicates that the File Creation and File Last Accessed times are inconsistent, and the only one with a semblence of actuality is the File Modified time. He doesn't discuss the implications of Daylight Saving Time on NT file dates, though.

John

PS The reference in the second post at the top of this thread gives Microsoft's view that what you are experiencing is "by design"...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have taken a look at my files and I see NOTHING that may reflect what is happening to your files, see attachment.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

We also have this problem with databases each time. What's funny, on different servers file time stamp may or may not be adjusted despite computer clock time adjusting - exactly as JimF wrote - and programs start to renew all "collections" - references to thousands of files.

I suspect is is Microsoft plot to abandon Daylight Saving Time altogether...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It is only due to the fact that the majority of users do not "sync" files on a computer with a backup that they do not realize this is actually taking place. If every user had to deal with this frustration twice a year, there would be a resounding outcry. Microsoft will continue to "get away" with this glaring program screw up because of the uninformed user.