Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Platinum Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Quedgeley, Gloucester, England
    Posts
    5,333
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Why do all the graphics get downloaded every time?

    Or that's what it seems like, especially when the Lounge is s l o w .

    I thought that once all the graphics that could be found in a particular post, say, had been downloaded into Temporary Internet Files, they would stay there and be retrieved from this local cache rather than being downloaded yet again from the Lounge website.

    Could it be that there is an option set "somewhere" in the Lounge software, or perhaps in Internet Explorer (where this post COULD have gone!), that requires the smilies and other graphics to be downloaded on each occasion? Is it, for example, a side-effect of having the TIF Settings for "Check for Newer Versions of Stored Pages" set to "Every Visit to the Page"?

    Puzzled of Quedgeley
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

    Ita, esto, quidcumque...

  2. #2
    Plutonium Lounger Leif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    14,010
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Why do all the graphics get downloaded every time?

    Dear Puzzled,

    Hopefully you have been a good boy and followed Uncle Claude's advice in the Lounge best viewed with post.

    One of the things you are advised to do is:
    Under Tools/Internet Options/General/Temporary Internet Files/Settings,
    Check "Every visit to the page"
    which means you are downloading afresh each time.

    The alternative is to risk not getting changes to the pages, updated userpics, etc.
    Or something.

  3. #3
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    12,107
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: Why do all the graphics get downloaded every t

    Or risk the "punishment" of being sent to a (free) Rolling Stones concert in Paris.....

  4. #4
    Super Moderator jscher2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Silicon Valley, USA
    Posts
    23,112
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 93 Times in 89 Posts

    Re: Why do all the graphics get downloaded every time?

    I use the setting "Automatically" and although I can never be sure what that does, it seems fine 99.9% of the time. (The other 0.1% of the time I have to hit the refresh button.)

  5. #5
    Gold Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    3,386
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Why do all the graphics get downloaded every time?

    I too use the setting "automatically".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •