New Lounger
    Thanks

Dependencies on Summary tasks? (MS Project 98/2002)

Hello!

I'm trying to produce a gantt chart diagram to show various key milestones and dependencies for a large set of projects within a programme, but I can't seem to produce a vertically compact diagram that also shows dependencies.

Rolling up the various individual project milestones to a summary bar for each project works well, except I then lose the display of dependencies between tasks within separate projects.

Is there a way of showing dependencies between summary task bars? Other than having to use Drawing Tools to add them in, can anyone suggest another workaround, please (our project support office already suggested I just draw it using Excel...)?

Thanks!

Ann Corp

Thanks

Re: Dependencies on Summary tasks? (MS Project 98/2002)

Task dependencies are typically shown for tasks that are "linked" together. Summary tasks provide a summary of the tasks in their "grouping". To get the dependency lines to show for summary tasks, you would need to link the summary tasks together. A word or warning here; linking summary tasks will effect the way the tasks are scheduled and may cause unexpected results.

I would suggest you copy the project to a new "test" file and then try linking the summary tasks together so you dont destroy the active project. Also note, when linking summaries, you can only use Finish to Start and Start to Start dependencies.

HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)