Star Lounger
    Thanks

Change Bars? (Word 2002)

I've seen some Word documents with change bars in them, but I can't find anything in Word to see how to turn them on. The only options I find for marking changes are more suitable for editing a document than viewing the finished product. I know FrameMaker calls them change bars -- does Word use some other terminology? How do I get them to work?
    Thanks - - - Sher

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Change Bars? (Word 2002)

You're probably thinking of Tools | Track Changes. I can't judge how that relates to your expectations...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, all I can find is that Tools | Track Changes, but that doesn't create a slim bar down the side of the page to mark places in the document that have changed -- at least not as far as I can tell. Am I just missing some option, or is this just not something Word does automatically?
    Thanks - - - Sher

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you turn on Track Changes, Word will mark all changes made to the document from that moment on. It has no way of knowing what changes were made before you turned on Track Changes.

You can set various options for displaying the changes in the Track Changes tab of Tools | Options...; at the bottom of this tab, you can specify whether and how change bars are displayed.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I think these are called "Revision" bars.

There was a macro that would add these in earlier versions, but since I do NOT use them, I have not kept up with the method.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.