5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Network Neighbourhood, but no Network

I have the Network Neighbourhood icon on my Desktop, even though I'm working on a standalone computer. How can I disable/remove this? I'm sure it wasn't there before, but I had to go into it from the Control Panel to resolve a problem that has now gone away.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Network Neighbourhood, but no Network

Hi Andy:
    There may be other ways, but:
    Scroll to the HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindows CurrentVersionPoliciesExplorer key and create a DWORD value entry called NoNetHood. If you set the value to 1 and reboot your system, the Network Neighborhood icon will fail to appear. To reinstate the icon, change the value to 0.
    Cheers,

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you are using a Cable modem or a DSL modem, which in turn is using a NIC connection to your computer, you are on a mini network. As soon as the NIC is found, the system thinks one needs the icon. That may be why you did NOT have it before.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your response(s). I'm a little surprised at the technicality of them. I've a stand-alone computer with a standard modem connection for the Internet. As I recall, I had to go into the Network options from the Control Panel to try and resolve a problem i was/ am having when viewing Help systems. I was therefore hoping that you might suggest that I need to change, for example, the 'Primary Network Logon' from Client for Microsoft Networks to something else?! I'm reluctant to mess with the Registry, unless having the icon on my Desktop wil cause any problems?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Download TweakUI(V1.33).exe & run it. Go to the Desktop tab & it will give you a checkbox where you can remove unwanted icons from the desktop. Having the icon will not cause problems, but if you don't want it, you can remove it as that will not cause problems either.
    Cheers,