Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Word styles (W97 & WXP)

Hiya

In-house we have Word templates set with our custom word heading styles.
    We get external documents from clients, created with the clients word templates & their own custom word heading styles.
    What we're experiencing is when the client external documents are opened in our environment the document styles conflict , resulting in a very messy formatted document.

Have you experienced this issue? How can we avoid this? or cant we? Is there a way around this?
    your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    many thanks & regards
    Diana

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word styles (W97 & WXP)

The first thing you need to do is to decide exactly what you want word to do.

One possibility would be to set the "automatically update document styles" checkbox in Tools > Templates and Add-Ins...". This will cause the styles in your template to over write the ones in the document. This will only work if your template has styles with the same names as the ones the customer uses, so you may need to add style names to your template for each customer that you deal with.

StuartR

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Diana:
    I'm not sure what you mean by conflicting & messy. Stuart has pointed out that the setting Tools/Templates & Add-Ins/ "Automatically update document styles" will change all the same named styles to your styles. On the other hand, if there are styles in the document that aren't identically named as your styles, you will get a mixture. You should be able to keep the formatting of the client's document by UNchecking the options mentioned above.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hey phil

the styles are the same names ie heading 1, heading 2 etc....therefore the result is a mixture of formatting using the clients formatting & our own formatting.
    The Word setting Tools/Templates & Add-Ins> 'Automatically update document styles' - is actually turned off & its still mixing up the styles.
    any ideas?

Diana

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Diana:
    When you first open the document, you should only have the styles that are in that document. I'm still not sure what you mean by mixing up the styles. If your client uses Heading 1 in the document, all Heading 1 styles should be the same. Are you saying they aren't?

But suppose that your client hasn't used Body Text & you paste a Body Text style. Then the Body Text will be from your style. I have never seen a document where a given named style appears differently in different parts of the document. Perhaps there is direct formatting that is applied to either your styles or your clients styles. Then there will be differences.

What is your ultimate goal? To you want the styles to appear the way your company has defined them or the way the client has defined them? One way to get rid of direct formatting is to select the entire document & press Ctrl+Q & Ctrl+Spacebar. This will remove all direct paragraph & all character formatting. Do this on a copy in case you get results that you can't live with.
    Hope this helps,

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I believe it would be wise to create and name your own heading style, not redefining the preset Word styles Heading 1, Heading 2, etc... Naming them Hd1 or Head 1 or Head1 should make it easier to see where client styles creep in

Second, your heading styles should not be based on the preset heading styles, else a client heading style may become the basis of your headings. (i.e., bad to have Hd1 defined as Heading 1+10pt). In WinXP, I believe you can start from (no style), and build a Hd1.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Greetings,
    Firstly I agree completely with your views on avoiding the inbuilt Heading styles and either start from no style, or a specifically created inhouse base style.

If you have documents that now contain paragraphs with the same paragraph style name but use different fonts/formatting then try doing a global find/replace.
    This should replace all instances with the style stored in your own template. I say should becouse any numbered styles are likely to misbehave so back up your
    docs before doing anything you might later regret.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I always thought that you use Words styles ie Heading 1, Heading 2 especially when you want to use all the auto-numbering etc. which we have auto-numbering in styles Heading 2 to Heading 7.

So are you suggesting that we create our own custom styles based on H1. I've never done or known about this before.
    will this allow for the auto-numbering to flow thru the document.

If our H1 is set as Words default H1 style & then we create our own H1 style based on H1. when a clients document comes into our environment that actually uses Words H1 & we have our custom H1 - then the styles wont conflict & the document instead of being really messy - be clean?

Diana

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Diana

I *always* use the built-in styles were possible rather than creating another to perform the same task. Therefore I alway use the Heading n styles rather than constructing another style to do the same job. My reasoning is that if the style is going to be in the document anyway, you may as well use it rather than creating yet another style.

However, some people have issues with the based-on attribute of Word styles and don't understand why changing the style attributes of one style causes changes to other styles. This is the root cause of why some people recommend using styles not related to ones that Word already has in the document.

The problem you are experiencing is a composite problem not necessarily related to the above issue. If you perform a standard copy/paste to introduce content from other documents then you could be introducing new styles which exist in the origin document but not in the target document. Any origin text which uses a style which also exists in the target document is likely to change some of its formatting (unless both documents use the same style definitions) when pasted because it adopts the style attributes in the target file. Differences may still be apparent due to local formatting (easily removed by selecting and pressing Ctrl-Space and Ctrl-Q) and it is these local formatting issues that are likely to be the cause of your confusion.

Depending on whether you want the combined document to look consistent in totality or have the introduced text retain its previous look there are pathways to follow to ensure a clean and consistent look. I can't work out what your aim actually is in this respect - and it may vary from case to case - so the two paths may vary. The actions necessary to follow the different paths can be automated by macros but the actual solution depends on what styles are contained in both documents and how they are used in practice. Without seeing these origin files and knowing the resulting look you want, it is difficult to prescribe a one-size fits all solution. For example if one document uses Normal for body copy text and the other one uses Body Text then some search and replace work before copying the text may be valuable.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Diana:
    I completely agree with Andrew. Using built-in heading styles have many advantages. Among them are:
    1. They tend to be stable.
    2. You can promote & demote them using standard shortcut keys (Alt+Shift+right or left Arrow).
    3. They are easily picked up for TOCs.

I'm still not sure what you meant when you said your styles were conflicting & messy. See the questions I posed in <post#=365057>post 365057</post#>.