Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Sending & Receiving Faxes

I use Outlook 97 and Windows NT. How can I send and receive faxes?

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sending & Receiving Faxes

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by maryj on 01/01/14 14:31.</FONT></P>Microsoft used to supply a Personal Fax Program (beta) for windows NT 4. unfortunately, it is no longer available but you can try any one of several fax programs to see if it will integrate with Outlook 97. Again, unfortunately, OL 97 was a product released well before its time and is a difficult client to configure at best.

One program I have seen recommended is Bitware available on the Internet. You may also want to refer to these pages for some additional ideas. http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

if you have an internet connection, you might want to try efax or jfax for receiving. Both can send for a fee, but recieving is free. Other low priced internet fax solutions exist for sending and are less hassle than using free fax programs with windows. (information at the slipstick url in the previous post)
    if you want to buy software - get winfax although symantec is discontinuing it.

ril

Discontinuing WinFax?

Any idea why? I thought it was a market leader.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

it's definitely the best fax program - but they want to concentrate on security - AV, firewalls etc. Fax is old technology - the same docs can be emailed and internet fax services are realiable and cheap, even more so if you send a lot of long distance faxes and have dedicated fax lines.

TalkWorks PRO 3.0 was discontinued Nov 2000, online support ends in Feb 2001.

No dates were given for Winfax 10, except that it would be the last version. The dev team left Symantec shortly after it's release. There is always the chance it'll be taken over by another company. (we can hope anyway)

ril

It will be interesting to see if MS continues to use Symantec to provide their fax services for Outlook IMO. (They have for Outlook 97, 98, and 2000. I can't remember if there even was an Outlook 95!)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

actually no. the next version of outlook doesn't have fax. with some tweaking, the win2k fax might work (if you had fax installed before and upgraded) but no fax transport ships with it.

ril

Yet ***another*** reason I won't be upgrading MS Office past Office 2000!

I think this (office 2k) is the last successful version of Office... it looks downhill from here.[img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]