3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Revenge of the ghostly Macro?? (XP, 97 sr2)

Each time a particular document is opened, the macro security dialogue appears prompting the user to enable/disable/do not open blah blah blah.
    Its a merge document and causes no end of problems with "Word could not establish DDE connection with data source..."
    I know the document works, and when it does its great and saves loads of time, but this is giving me grief.
    I enable the macro and the document opens, but no macro apparent in the document nor its reference (normal.dot).
    Track changes options have disappeared from the tools dialogue tab (as posted previously it is possibly a corrupt data key). For this to happen one time is unlucky, but this second and third time is pointing me to a consistency associated with opening this document.
    Any suggestions anyone, other than re-type document?
    How can I view a macro that doesn't appear in the code environment?
    TIA
    Alan
    Cheshire, UK

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Revenge of the ghostly Macro?? (XP, 97 sr2)

The macro warning does not necessarily mean that the document contains macros. If the document contains controls from the Control Toolbox, you'll get the warning too, since ActiveX controls can be unsafe. And if you're using Word 97, you'll get the warning if the document has once contained macros, even if you removed them completely. See WD97: Macro Virus Warning Displayed When No Macros Exist in File.

If you want to get rid of the mail merge error message, you can restore the document to a non-merge document in the first step of the mail merge wizard. You can always set the data source anew later on.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Once again thanks Hans.
    I have chosen the "save as rtf" route and it appears to be OK.
    Rather than being malicious, it appears that the macro was a remnant of previous automation attempts (I think there were Fill-in fields in the original template) and the warning I can see now was really just an annoyance (can't remember seeing this in Woodys Word Annoyances book though).
    The DDE link problem is still there but if the word document is now correct then I guess it's down to checking the Excel file more closely.
    Thanks again for the help.
    Alan

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You can also copy everything except the last paragraph mark & paste it into a new document. That will get rid of your macro warning. You can go to Edit/Links & remove any links also.