2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word crashes with Adobe 6 (Word 2000 SP2)

First of all I appreciate this is not an Adobe forum, however I have a problem with PDFMaker.dot since installing Adobe 6 and hope someone maybe able to shed some light on the problem. This template is located in my Word startup folder and every time I start Word it crashes with a "Winword.exe error". As soon as I remove the PDFMaker.dot from the startup folder Word starts OK. Any ideas?

Thanking you in advance

Kind regards

John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word crashes with Adobe 6 (Word 2000 SP2)

If you also have Norton Anti Virus, make sure the Office Plugin is disabled; this module is superfluous if you have AutoProtect on, and it causes a whole slew of problems. Open Norton Anti Virus, select Options > Miscellaneous. There is a check box to enable the Office Plugin; this check box should be clear.

You might also need a new version of PDFMaker from Adobe. See <!mskb=307410>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 307410<!/mskb>.

More information might be available on the Adobe Forums.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Many thanks for the reply. The problem occurs in version 6 which is the latest. It's weird because if I take pdfmaker.dot out of the startup, Word launches fine. If I then launch PDFMaker.dot from within Word it also starts OK. I can recreate this problem on all PCs. The PCs are running XP SP1, Office 2000 SP2 and Adobe 6. I have also tried disabling Norton's AV but with no joy. Can you think of any way I can automatically launch pdfmaker once Word has started?

Many thanks

Regards

John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I can't test this myself, but you might experiment with a Document_Open event procedure (in ThisDocument) or AutoExec macro (in a standard module) in Normal.dot or in a global template, with this line of code:

AddIns.Add FileName:="C:...PDFMaker.dot", Install:=True

(Make sure to fill in the correct path)

But I'm sure there are Loungers who use PDFMaker.dot, they may have better suggestions.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Over the years, PDFMaker has almost always caused problems with Office.

I would expect that the PDFMaker for Acrobat 6 includes code that is not compatible with Office 2000.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks for this. I have fixed the problem. Basically there was a a second *.dot file in the startup folder that was corrupt I recreated this and copied the appropriate toolbars, *.bas etc..

Regards

John