5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot read CD rom

I'm attempting to run a setup program from a CD, but it fails. It sounds like it's running backwards and forwards rapidly, like it's trying to read ahead. I was able to copy (nearly) all the files into a folder on my C: drive so I don't believe the disk is corrupted. But I can't run the setup from this folder, as it suggests that a Setup.ini file is 'missing or invalid' (even though it's there and in the correct sub-folder?!).
    Are there any suggested tweaks I can apply so that the Setup can run from the CD, or is there a way that I can treat the subfolder on my C: drive as, for example, an F: drive so that setup might run? Andy.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cannot read CD rom

The most obvious cause: your CD is dirty or scratched. Check it.

If your CD is "home- made", some files on it can be corrupted. Look at the icon at Setup.exe file: is it original icon or default rectangle? And remember - even one corrupted file can make impossible all installation process: you MUST be able to copy ALL (not "nearly" all) files from installation CD. Try to recover files from corrupted CD using, for example, IsoBuster 1.5

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Are you trying to install a program? What happens if you insert the CD & go to Control Panel/Add_Remove Programs & let it search for the correct file. Sometimes programs have more than one file with the name setup in them. Do a search. Or perhaps the setup.ini file is damaged.

Also, it doesn't hurt to clean the CD drive every so often.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I can open and read the Setup .ini file. Using Add/Remove Programs didn't help. The IsoBuster application helped insofar as it confirmed that files were corrupted, but trying to Extract them didn't help. Never mind, I'll arrange to get another CD. I assume it's unusual to have corrupted CDs, but it happens occasionally I suppose. Thanks for the help though. Andy.