3 Star Lounger
    Lawrence, Kansas, USA

Using Networks for Hire (Win XP Pro SP1)

For the second time in 4 months, I've used a hotel network service provider that has changed something on my system that I can't undo. Last January, after I left a hotel my Internet options couldn't be changed. Everything was greyed out. I solved the problem by making a new user. That's a costly solution in terms of time to get everything set up, and I'd rather not have to do that again.

This time the problem doesn't seem to be as bad. The network provider added a new Local Area Network Connection that cannot be deleted. I have disabled it, but when I try to delete it says that the connection I have selected cannot be deleted.

I have two questions - Can I protect myself from these problems somehow - short of not using this type of service? How can I delete this 'rogue' connection and make sure there aren't any other problems lurking somewhere?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Silicon Valley, USA

Re: Using Networks for Hire (Win XP Pro SP1)

Do you have a personal firewall installed? It's difficult to imagine that any ISP, hotel or otherwise, could reach in and lock your Internet Options without writing to the Registry. And that should be very difficult. Unless, now that I think about it, their local sign-up page runs with the lax security of Internet Explorer's intranet zone. (Hmmm...) Anyway, there are some posts on the IE board on how to reverse that. One of the privacy-related products also blocks you out if you let it (I can't remember which one).

As for not being able to delete a network connection, this sounds like a familiar topic. The workaround is to disable it, but I don't remember if there was a solution...

Silver Lounger
    New York, New York, USA

Re: Using Networks for Hire (Win XP Pro SP1)

Start the computer in Safe mode and you can delete unwanted network connection.

To start computer in Safe mode:

1. Close all open programs
    2. Click Start, and then click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
    3. In Open box, type MSCONFIG and then click OK. The System Configuration Utility appears.
    4. Click BOOT.INI tab, then check "/SAFEBOOT" option and click OK.
    5. You then see the prompt to restart the computer. Click Restart.
    6. When in Safe mode, repeat steps 1-4 unchecking "/SAFEBOOT" option to reboot in Normal mode.

To prevent changes in your computer, assign your working profile to Power Users group rather than Administrators. Use account with Administrators rights to install/uninstall programs only.