New Lounger
    Thanks

Rescheduling work forward (2002)

Hi,
    Does anyone have a suggestion for rescheduling unstarted work forward such that all tasks (even those with constraints) are rescheduled? I have a very large project file which I update with completed tasks every 2 weeks. At this time, I try to reschedule all unstarted work forward -- which it will do except for those tasks with the "start no sooner than" constraints. I could then go through each of these to change their constraints back to "as soon as possible". In some cases, I don't want to change the constraint (because it represents useful information to know that the task could not be started by a certain date, or the date is in the future ) -- so, I do not change these constraints. Instead, I look at any unstarted work which is shown before the project status date and I reschedule those tasks forward, one by one. I have to do this iteratively, sometimes 7or 8 times, re-leveling after each try, until I catch all of the tasks. Again, this is a very large project (about 2000 tasks), so it is not practical to change all of the constraints at once.

In essence, is there a way to tell Microsoft Project to reschedule the unstarted work forward without having to change the task constraints?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thank you,
    Paula

Thanks

Re: Rescheduling work forward (2002)

Hi Paula,

If you want to make your contraints "soft" or flexible, instead of "hard" or inflexible, then go to Tools, Options, Schedule Tab, and uncheck Tasks will always honor their constraints. This will allow "constrained" tasks to delay if the links cause them to delay.

However, then, I do not see what the purpose is of constraining tasks.

You also say that in some cases you don't want to change the constraint. Doing the above won't help here. So, I would suggest you change your constraint type or experiment with the above.

HTH - Don't know if this will work 100% but may make your job a little easier.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Rescheduling work forward (2002)

Hello again,
    Gary, I tried what you suggested, and it didn't work properly.
    When I unchecked "tasks must honor their constraints", it STILL would not re-schedule forward a task which had a "start no earlier than" constraint. I find this odd, since I believe that updating tasks and rescheduling uncompleted work forward is something rather basic that everyone must do with this tool - so I don't know why it is rather cumbersome for me.

Let me give you an example of what's happening. Let's say I have tasks constrained to "start no earlier than March 15", and March 15, of course, has passed. In my plan, this task is scheduled to be worked on from March 15 to March 22, but it didn't happen. So, in Microsoft Project, I want to say to schedule that work forward. I click the "reschedule forward" button, and it does the function on some tasks but not all. I get a message to check all of my tasks with constraints and change the constraints. It's odd because if today is May 7, then May 7 is later than March 15, so I'm still actually honoring the constraint. On some "start no earlier than" tasks, it simply will not reschedule them forward. But, it WILL do so on other "start no earlier than" tasks and I don't see the difference between the tasks it schedules forward and those which it will not.

Also, as I'm sure you know, when it DOES schedule the work forward, it changes the constraint to May 7 (or it introduces a constraint if the task was previously an "as soon as possible" task). Therefore, I find it funny that Project will reschedule work forward by introducing a "start no earlier than" May 7 constraint. Yet, when you need to schedule this work forward a second time, it will reject it.

When it rejects it, I have to manually go into each task description sheet and change the constraint to "start no earlier than" May 7.

As I mentioned in my first post, I re-schedule or change the constraints, re-level, filter for tasks which are scheduled to occur earlier than the status date (May 7, in my example), change the constraints on those remaining tasks, re-level, repeatedly do it again, re-level, etc, repeatedly until I get all of the tasks.

There has to be a better way.

thanks
    Paula