New Lounger
    Thanks

Back button closes Explorer (6.0)

Here's a weird one. If I click the back button in Explorer, it completely closes.

Any clues?

Scott

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Re: Back button closes Explorer (6.0)

Does it only affect certain web sites or does it happen for any site? (If selected sites, could you post some URLs?)

Is it related to returning from a PDF document to a normal web page?

Do you allow ActiveX controls to run without asking (i.e., for the Internet Zone under Tools>Internet Options...>Security tab>Internet icon>Custom level...>"Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" is set to Enable)? If so, try setting it to Prompt so you can determine whether the issue is related to going Back from a page containing an ActiveX control.

New Lounger
    Thanks

It defnitely appears to be related to returning from a pdf to a normal web page. It doesn't seem to matter whether I just click the button or if I click the drop down and select a few pages back.

Thanks.

Scott

New Lounger
    Thanks

One other thing. There are two users set up on the computer experiencing the problem, but it is only affecting one of the users. For the other user, everything works fine.

Scott

Thanks

Maybe the Acrobat registry entries or permissions for the second user are messed up. Can you try reinstalling it for the second user?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Is there a way to reinstall just for a particular user? Not sure how I would do that.

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 22-Apr-04 20:59. Sorry, brain fade on the first version.)</P>I was thinking, with that user logged in, doing some kind of repair or update. Actually, with Acrobat Reader, I'm not sure. I guess I had something more like Office in mind, with its Help>Detect and Repair... feature. You could try re-downloading the installer, if nothing else pops out at you.