Star Lounger
    Thanks

AutoCorrect/Spelling (2000)

Hey there ... Hoping you can help with two spell check problems (that I suspect are related).

First, Autocorrect seems to be intermittent. It will correct some words - but not others. The ones that it won't correct - I know are listed in my autocorrect folder. (i.e. abbout should be changed to about) Meanwhile, other words and characters (such as [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] ) are corrected right away.

Second ... Word will recognize certain proper names (like mine) as a spelling error - but it won't let me add it to the dictioinary.

I'm using the custom dictionary, and I have the check box selected in Autocorrect to automatically changed spelling errors.

Any ideas?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: AutoCorrect/Spelling (2000)

Under the Tools menu, check AutoCorrect (make sure that you have checked to use suggestions from Spelling Checker), AutoFormat and AutoFormat As You Type. Check the options in each. Each is slightly different in function, but may bring about your symptoms if they are not configured properly.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: AutoCorrect/Spelling (2000)

If you go to Tools/AutoCorrect.../AutoCorrect tab, you will note that there is an Exceptions button. Check what is listed in the Exceptions because this will override the AutoCorrect. Also, if you have Automatically add words to the list, then your list of what is corrected can be diminished over time. If an autocorrection takes place & you immediately backspace to reverse it (it may be that you must do this two or three times, I forget), then Word will add to this list of exceptions. If you don't want this to happen, you can UNcheck those boxes.

With respect to not letting you add names to a custom dictionary during spellcheck, this shouldn't happen unless your dictionary is corrupt or is too large (64kb). See <!mskb=214179>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 214179<!/mskb>.
    Hope this helps,